Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 45 ACP on an RL550B using Clays

I don't know if this topic has been posted or not but here goes. I'm reloading for my Sig P220 and here's my recipe. Cases are mixed and Large pistol primers, powder is of course "Clays" @ 3.8 grains with a 200 grain LSWC bullet with an OAL of 1.250" with a taper crimp of .470". Looking forward to using my RL550B but currently used my RCBS uniflow powder dispenser and at times it was a "Challenge" to throw a consistent powder charge at 3.8 grains. So my question to you all is there any "Tricks" to get a consistent powder drop of 3.8 grains of "Clays" using the RL550B. Thank you in advance.

• 1 month later...

I have a new 550, and I am trying to load 4.0 grains of Clays, but I get anything from 3.8-4.2. For a "consistent" load, should I always get exactly 4.0? What is an acceptable variance? I am currently using the "load 5 and average the toal technique", which does give me an overall average of 4.0 per case, but I am concerned that I have such an individual varriation.

I just got a new 550B also, I'm using same load (4.0 Clays) and never get over .1 variance, when I first got my new press, I pulled the tube off powder measure and polished the funnel area, also I keep hopper ove half full always, and wipe the inside of tube with dryer sheet before filling.

Fred

I've often heard people blame the "consistency" of their press when using Clays. When I've asked, have you weighed a series of charges, the answer's always been, "well, um, I get very inconsistent results when loading Clays on my Dillon." (in other words, "No")

My thought is that the press is throwing very consistent charges (mine always does, anyway) but that clays is particularly position and temperature sensitive. This irregular combustion is particularly seen when charge weights are very low -- like your's.

In other words, people seem quick to blame their powder measure when Clays performs inconsistently. It is, however, the nature of Clays to go bang, poof, BANG, and KerBlam!!!! when downloaded. I don't use it anymore for competition for this reason.

Edited by August

on a new powder drop I tumble the metallic charge bar parts for about 30 mins, lightly polish the the other parts. I also clean the plastic hopper with dishwashing soap and wipe it down with a dryer sheet every so often. The keep it over half full tip above is also good practice.

I load 4.3 under a MG 200 grain JFP. averages 831.44 on a 10 shot string out of a Dan Wesson OCC @ 10ft from the crono.

Edited by bajadudes