Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

wife buys expensive mirror and wants in hung in the guest bedroom. once she tells me which wall and the height, i take over.

in order to determine the center of the wall, i whoop out my $26 fat max tape measure to find the center of the wall and mark the preferred height. in order to determine where the two mounting holes go, i do a little math with my $400 iPhone to get the exact location. i mark them and but before i drill, i yank out my $49 stud sensor to make sure there is no romex cable and hot wires hiding behind the drywall. next, i grab my $239 makita lithium drill, first drilling just one hole in the drywall. then, grab my $49 bubble level to ensure the location of the second hole i'm about to drill will be level. drill another hole and we're 1/2 way there. next, gotta screw in some drywall anchors. once done, the screws for the anchors are supposed to go into the wall and protrude 3/8". how to figure that? yep, out to the garage and back with my $109 digital micrometer. set the depth of the mounting screws to .375. then, grab my $129 brownell's gunsmith screwdriver kit and set them. finally, how to mount the mirror's mounting hooks onto the screws since you can't get the hooks to stay open? duct tape baby! add a piece to the back of the mirror keeping the hooks up so they will now grab the mounting screws.

end result, the wife now convinced about $900 worth of toys was justified. even got the duct tape some street cred.

now all i gotta do is figure out how to use my 1050 to finish mounting the central vac...

Edited by outerlimits