Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can Sten mags be made to work in a Colt pattern 9mm ?

gcambi

I have searched the world over, and am only finding mixed reviews from many years ago. Is there any newly developed magwell blocks that will run Sten mags in my Colt patterned gun?

I don't know if this info is of any use... maybe you already know it...

Modified Sten mags are used (without any magwell block) with the Olympic Arms upper (different bolt). Mine runs really well (and it seems that it's the norm).

Ac4

Thanks, I have both types, and would like to know if I can use my Sten mags in the Colt pattern, or just sell them off with the Oly Arms upper I have. No complaints with the OA, I just went with a 10" Pistol Colt, and like the handiness much better. Thinking about doing an SBR with it.

"Modified Sten mags are used (without any magwell block) with the Olympic Arms upper "....can I use Sten mags without a block?

Edited by gcambi

Modified Uzi mags will work in the Colt and Rock River lowers.

Any ideas on where I can find the details on the modifications?

I have several modified UZI mags for 9mm upper. Only mod needed is to cut the mag catch with an end mill. Specs can be taken off your colt mag and or fitted to your upper.

If you want a pic of mine I can snap one for you just PM me an email address and I will send it over.

Sten magazines are one of the hardest to load subgun magazines of all time. They will literally make your fingers bleed and between those and grease gun magazines it's a wonder how anyone could have loaded them under adverse conditions in battle. If I had the option I'd go with Uzi magazines all week long and twice on Sunday.

Sten magazines are one of the hardest to load subgun magazines of all time. They will literally make your fingers bleed and between those and grease gun magazines it's a wonder how anyone could have loaded them under adverse conditions in battle. If I had the option I'd go with Uzi magazines all week long and twice on Sunday.

I have some very effective loaders that make it pretty easy. I'm sure I'd hate loading Sten mags without the tool.

Modified Uzi mags will work in the Colt and Rock River lowers.

Any ideas on where I can find the details on the modifications?

Its all right here:

The only modifications needed are milling the slot for the mag catch and lowering the cut on the back of the magazine.

IIRC I've always made the cut for the match catch .250” instead of the .275” shown on the print (use a .250” end mill) and they work fine in my RRA mag block.

You need to also cut a relief on the back. Here is all of the correct info http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/398642_Convert_Uzi_mags_to_fit_AR_15.html

If you are going to buy the end mill to do it, go on amazon and look for the four flute carbide .250" end mill from niagra

I have done this to three and had decent results. After measuring them, my mag catch slot was .02" too high and this has lead to some ftf

Edited by midget

To directly answer your question: NO, a Sten mag cannot be used in a Colt-pattern 9mm AR15 because it is a single-feed magazine... the Colt system uses a double feed system. As mentioned, Uzi mags can be modified for use, but the empty bolt hold open will not work (no bad thing - BHO puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the lower).