Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTF issues? CZ Shadow 9mm

shane8168

Strange events tonight...

New Shadow, I shot it 130 times Tuesday in a local match with 0 problems. Shooting reloads (mixed brass, Tula Primers, 125 gr LRN seated to 1.127" and W231 powder) same reloads I've used for probably 5000 in my CZ 75BD.

Tonight at a local match I get to the end of a stage and try to "unload and show clear" and have one stuck in the pipe... tried to eject and that sucker is STUCK. Slide isn't locked, so I can't shoot it out of there. Finally get the bullet ejected. Scratch my head and proceed to the next stage.

Same thing three more times with three different magazines. Stuck Bullet with no slide lock.

Ran a brush through the chamber, got one more on the next stage.

Found some of the offenders and brought them home.

Same reloads I've been using, I haven't changed anything in my loading process in a while. I got to thinking maybe it is an OAL issue with the new gun so I tried to plunk test the bad ones in my old 75BD barrel, no plunk... stuck just short of all the way in. So I measure the offenders are actually a bit shorter than ones that "plunk" fine in both barrels (Shadow and 75BD). But, they are slightly bigger at the primer end of the case (I forget the actual numbers, but I think they were like 0.002" bigger, maybe just less and my calipers are cheapo's so who really knows).

So My questions are:

Why the variations in my bullets coming out of my press all the sudden. I suspect I've had those "bulged" cases all along and never noticed it. (Hornady LnL, Hornady dies, same setup I've used the entire time...)

If that's the case, why am I seeing it now?

Could it be the recoil spring? I am running an 11# spring in the shadow and the stock spring in the 75BD.

The next test will be to run the stock recoil spring with the offenders (I found 62 out of 400 loads I plunk tested tonight when I got home) and see if they run with that?

Any suggestions?

It might be glocked brass, in which case, an EGW U die will solve the problem however I still suspect OAL. The lead on those CZ chambers is really short. My old (circa 1994) 85B will eat any round that fits in a mag but my Shadow likes to be loaded short (1.085" w/ MG 124gr JHP).

Edited by blind bat

Sounds definitely like bulged brass. Are you picking up and reloading range brass? If so, you are most likely getting what is called "Glocked" brass. As others have said, try a U-Die which will get rid of that problem. EGW makes great dies.. but I think they are out of stock right now:

http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-reloading-dies/undersized-reloading-dies/

I use U-Dies on all my pistol calibers and it has solved 99% of my problems that I ever had.

Good luck!

In my experience, the bullet profile and a oal that is a bit long (longer than 1.100) caused these issues for me especially with lead/moly bullets.

A shorter oal or a different bullet profile should cure your issue if it's not a bulged case.

Here's where the Lee U die shines, simple fix. Purchase from Midway USA or EGW. Lee's dies will size closer to the extractor groove and tighter overall.

At present running a standard Lee die in 9mm, Lee seating die and Dillon crimp die.

Lee has an excellent primer punch usually will push up instead of breaking but I would order a couple spares when you purchase dies.

Lee's seating die had a small knob to help with small OAL adjustments. Mark the knob with colored sharpie for varied size bullets. For a few bucks send your bullet to Lee and they will cut you an insert for that bullet. Helps with OAL problems.

Lee's locking nuts are weak might order a set of nuts from Dillon. Had to lock the sizer from the bottom on my 650.

Edited by Bob DuBois

Sounds definitely like bulged brass. Are you picking up and reloading range brass? If so, you are most likely getting what is called "Glocked" brass. As others have said, try a U-Die which will get rid of that problem. EGW makes great dies.. but I think they are out of stock right now:

http://www.egwguns.c...reloading-dies/

I use U-Dies on all my pistol calibers and it has solved 99% of my problems that I ever had.

Good luck!

No listing for a 9mm die on that site... hmmm?

Oh, and definitely range brass of all types of headstamps from all 10 of my magazines... that's where I have always got all of my brass. Which leads me to believe that it isn't the brass or the loader that has caused the issues. The process has NOT changed since I started loading.

It just started with the new gun. I will all but guarantee you I've shot 1000's of "glocked" brass since I started loading with that same "bulge" at the base of the case and never experienced an issue.

Oh, and definitely range brass of all types of headstamps from all 10 of my magazines... that's where I have always got all of my brass. Which leads me to believe that it isn't the brass or the loader that has caused the issues. The process has NOT changed since I started loading.

It just started with the new gun. I will all but guarantee you I've shot 1000's of "glocked" brass since I started loading with that same "bulge" at the base of the case and never experienced an issue.

Your new gun may have tighter tolerances than your other guns. What you've made in the past, may not work in another gun. I have a Kimber that will not load the same ammo that I load for a S&W .. I've also seen glocked/bulged brass that works fine in "stock" barrels but as soon as you try to run them through a match grade barrel, they all get stuck.

Here is another link - but they are out of stock as well, but at least you can be notified when they are in stock:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/386755/lee-u-carbide-small-base-sizing-die-9mm-luger

Zombie,

Thanks for the information. I already signed up to be notified... we'll see how long that takes! You don't happen to shoot at the Bullet Hole do you?

Those bulged bullets will feed (but not plunk) into my 75BD and eject just fine, but not in my Shadow.

Guess I will await the arrival of a new sizing die to completely fix my problem, until then I'll plunk test my loaded rounds and put the "big" ones away for use in my wife's gun...

Zombie,

Thanks for the information. I already signed up to be notified... we'll see how long that takes! You don't happen to shoot at the Bullet Hole do you?

Those bulged bullets will feed (but not plunk) into my 75BD and eject just fine, but not in my Shadow.

Guess I will await the arrival of a new sizing die to completely fix my problem, until then I'll plunk test my loaded rounds and put the "big" ones away for use in my wife's gun...

Shane,

PM me with your mailing address and I will send you a 9mm EGW/Lee U die....no charge (if I can find it).

Dave

Is there lead build up in your chamber? I had this happen last year with a glock, The cause was the case mouth not being belled enough and there was a slight build-up of excess lead on the edge of the case mouth, the hot chamber was causing it to melt and lead up the chamber.

Are you sure your sizing die is adjusted down as far as it can go, and that it didn't back out? My CZs all have fairly generous chambers and I've never had a round make it all the way through the press that wouldn't fit. The majority of my brass is from an agency range that uses Glocks.

The leade is short, and that could be an issue but if it's the brass sticking it sounds like a die adjustment issue to me.

I don't use the U-Die, just regular Lee dies. If you're going to use the U-Die use case lube.

Pretty sure it isn't the chamber of the gun. You can see where the case is bulged and binding in the chamber when you color the case with a sharpie marker and try to load one.

Sizer/decapper is all the way down, I've been through that issue already.

Pretty sure it isn't the chamber of the gun. You can see where the case is bulged and binding in the chamber when you color the case with a sharpie marker and try to load one.

You are both right and wrong at the same time. It is probably glocked brass AND a tighter chamber in the new gun. The old gun had a looser chamber so it would still chamber the bulged brass.

At any rate, I agree, a u-die will fix it.

I load to 1.145 oal for my shadow btw.

You are both right and wrong at the same time. It is probably glocked brass AND a tighter chamber in the new gun. The old gun had a looser chamber so it would still chamber the bulged brass.

At any rate, I agree, a u-die will fix it.

I load to 1.145 oal for my shadow btw.

Exactly the conclusion I've come to... I meant to say "It isn't lead in the chamber" causing this to an earlier post, not it isn't the chamber. I believe this chamber to be tighter than the other CZ I own and that is causing the issues.

When I sort my loads and take out the "non plunkers" I'm back to 100% reliability again.

We will soon find out.

I had the same problem when I switched guns last year. Bulged brass that chambered in my first gun (FN) would lockup my second gun (Walther) just out of battery. Now when I gauge my rounds I save the bulged rounds for practice with the FN.