Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer System Maintenance and Change

Good Afternoon,

I've loaded about 600-700 rounds on my new 550b and love the machine. I've started to experience inconsistent primer feeding and believe that "primer dust" residue, whatever is hanging the feed bar up. I took a look on Youtube for videos, but couldn't find any that helped. Are there any that you recommend. Thanks,

Dr.J

I am not familar with the feed system on a 550b press... but my 650 started experiencing primer feed problems after about 600rds.. i took off the primer feed system.. cleaned it real good.. put some dry silicon on it.. and now it works like a charm..

i found lots of primer residue grit and some small slivers of brass on the primer feed disc.. obviously that was the problem..

cosmic

Not too hard to do this.

Unscrew the knurled cap at the top of the primer tube. Pull out the inner primer magazine. Blow out with compressed air.

If you want to do more, pull the two cap screws from under the primer feed. Remove the return spring and lift the primer assembly off. Wipe off primer slide bar with some alcohol.

I reassemble with a little powdered graphite on the primer seater slide bar.

I am surprised you are having trouble with that low round count. It is possible the little plastic part on the end of the inner primer magazine is bent or otherwise damaged. If that part is messed up or improperly seated into the bottom of the assembly it can cause no end of grief.

Good luck and I hope this helps some.

-John

The only thing I would add to John's explanation is that you might want to clean off the bottom of the primer slide bar with a green ScotchBrite pad. Don't use sandpaper! Reassemble with some powdered graphite and you should be good to go.

Tom

It's very possible to get gummed up after 700 rds. Depends on powder used , type of primer and how clean the brass is. The big take home message here is to take apart the primer asssembly and clean it. Alcohol wipes and some Scotch brite for any heavy deposits. Dry and reassemble. Don't over tighten the two screws holding the primer housing. Make sure the primer cup comes up smoothly without catching on the edge. That can cause you to flip or miss primers.

Try a little powdered graphite as a lubricant on the primer bar. Clean and replace the primer system and check for burs on the bottom of the primer slide. Remove any with a small file try not to remove metal just clean up the burs. Then dust a little graphite should run quite a bit longer before jam. Any wet lube will attract powder and residue from the cases.

Polish the inside of your primer tubes using a Q-Tip pushing it through with the primer weight. Add a 45ACP case turned upside down to the primer weight.

• 2 weeks later...

I did all of these bit still had issues. So, I went one step further. I took the primer bar system apart completely, and used my Dremel with a polish wheel and the red rouge and polished the heck out of eveyr part that contacted. I then cleaned it all with carb cleaner and lubed it all with dry graphite and reassembled and voila!!! Primer systems feeds perfectly again.