Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Frame Witness and CZ75 Magazines

Lubecktech

So the design is the same, but the small steel frame guns need a magazine that is probably 1/16" longer than the CZ75 mags are. If you got a longer SP01 mag, but then put the metal baseplate off a normal CZ75 mag on it, that might work (I dunno for sure).

However the small frame polymer guns WILL take a stock metal baseplate CZ75 mag.

The mag release notch is slightly higher on a Tanfo mag than a CZ mag, so if you use a Tanfo mag in a CZ, there will be a small gap between the base pad and the bottom of the frame like Nealio described; I have actually had problems in a match from this because when I jammed the mag in, it bounced back past the mag catch. To lock a CZ mag into Tanfo you have to remove that same amount of material from the top of the notch, once you do this, they will no longer lock up tight in a CZ.

Are you sure? I ran a CZ mag in my large frame Tanfoglio before the new mags came out and the mag seemed the correct height. This was also true in my Poly small frame. To me it looks like the mag is slightly shorter, so doing what you describe will make the mag fit, but I worry it won't be the correct height....

I would check but I sold the poly frame with the CZ mag, so I don't have any CZ mags left...

Edited by Nealio

A CZ75 mag worked in your large frame Tanfo???

I know the CZ97B mag is the same as the large frame, but I never tried to mix small/large frame parts.

I have a MecGar mag for the CZ, I modified to work in my small frame Tanfo, stock CZ75B and stock Tanfo small frame mags at some, so I'll take some pictures and measurements after work.

A CZ75 mag worked in your large frame Tanfo???

Yeah I taped a spacer to the back that was the full width of the large frame mag, and the thickness (plus tape) made it the correct depth. I put probably 3k rounds through it.

I use cz-75 mecgar mags and cz Sp-01 mags in my small frame open gun, some modified at the notch, some not. all work.

will they lock the slide back on the last round? in mine no because I am not using the factory slide stop pin.

I use cz-75 mecgar mags and cz Sp-01 mags in my small frame open gun, some modified at the notch, some not. all work.

will they lock the slide back on the last round? in mine no because I am not using the factory slide stop pin.

Why are you using a different slide stop?

The reason I ask is on my large frame Witness I have a problem with the slide locking back prematurely. I have both a 45acp and 40 S&W upper and it happens on both. All 3 of my small frame Witnesses don't have this issue.

I'm using the Henning or WCPI hardened slide stop pin (don't remember which one, they both look the same), which as it name indicates, is just a pin. There is nothing for a slide to lock back on from the magazine, unlike the factory OEM slide stop.

When running major PF loads, I don't want to have to worry about breaking the factory one, these hardened ones do the trick

lastly, I'm not concerned with the slide locking back

Tanfoglio factory mag next to CZ factory mag:

P1000791_zps70b9d89c.jpg

P1000794_zps66f69492.jpg

P1000792_zpsb17b1bd9.jpg

P1000793_zps41f941c1.jpg

The mag release notches are in a slightly different position, but I don't know if it's enough to matter; the CZ mag locks into my Uzi Eagle and my small frame Tanfo just fine. I'm shooting at lunch, so I'll confirm it works OK. The biggest discrepancy is with a MecGar (there actually isn't any identification on it, so I don't know what brand it is...) mag I had to grind out to work in my UE, but probably would have had to for a CZ too!

Edited by kneelingatlas

Tanfoglio factory mag next to CZ factory mag:

The mag release notches are in a slightly different position, but I don't know if it's enough to matter; the CZ mag locks into my Uzi Eagle and my small frame Tanfo just fine.

Yeah the CZ75 mags wouldn't lock into my Baby Eagle unless I took the metal basepad off. Its soooo close though.

Thanks for measuring those. I wonder if the the mag catch notch has the same distance from the top of the feed lips? Its hard to tell if the notch in the front of the mag is the same height on both.