Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dimples in Bullets

Theat

I haven't had this issue, but did you check to make sure you have the correct seating stem? There are two. One for JHP, one for FMJ. You need to make sure you are using the correct one. If that's not it, i'm stumped.

ETA: Sorry, let me clarify. The seating stem has two ends. One end is used for more rounded of a bullet profile, FMJ, and the other end is for more a square ended bullet, or JHP. When you take out the seating stem, you can figure out which end more closely matches the bullet profile, and then install accordingly.

Edited by CZinSC

I had this on my old SDB with plated bullets. It never concerned me or caused any problems. I suppose if it bothers you, you could radius the hole inside the seating die with a reamer. When done, you would need to readjust your OAL setting.

I'm using the die for round nose bullets but the Berrys 147 gr are a little more pointed. And the point goes in the hole of the die.I tried a old 38 super die and it didn't dimple it as bad. It probably won't affect accuracy. Just a cosmetic flaw. Thanks for the replies, Tim

I noticed the same thing on my 650 with that Berrys bullet. The gurus I shoot with say not to worry about it, but I am sure that is why I am not shooting zero down at the matches. :closedeyes: .That must be it.

I had the same issue with Xtreme plated bullets. It's thin plating over soft lead and the profile of the bullet is letting the nose hit the top of the dome on the seating stem.

I have the same problem with extreme 147's. It is just because the bullet goes into the vent hole. Won't hurt or cause any problems. It has been shown that having a uniform base is more important than the tip of the bullet. If you do a search you should be able to find the test some one did on the effects of base damage versus nose damage.

yep same problem here with plated bullets and standart dillon dies on a 650, especially when laoding 9mm major with plated bullets.

the dillon seating die has a hole in the seating stem, wich causes this on a plated bullet, with a lee seating die you don't have this problem anymore.

If your using Dillon seating die use the semi wad cutter seating stem.

+1

I don't see how that would help at all with round nose bullets. I expect you'd still have the bullet get an impression from the vent hole and you might start seating them a little crooked.

If your using Dillon seating die use the semi wad cutter seating stem.

+1

I don't see how that would help at all with round nose bullets. I expect you'd still have the bullet get an impression from the vent hole and you might start seating them a little crooked.

I agree with u. The idea is for FP bullet. I've tried it on Berry's .40 180 gr. FP bullet.