Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CR Speed holster

WrxGuy90

Hey everyone. I have a CR Speed model a holster. I got it just because the price was right even though it's a little much for a guy going just to have fun and to shoot limited haha. But Sunday I'm going to do my first three gun and am having a hard time trying to find a straight answer if it was acceptable to use or not. I've read that it may not be a great idea depending of the stage layout, but like I said not a clear yea or no. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Pistol speed holsters are not as in demand for 3G like other sports. This comes from the odd positions, running with your pistol while shooting/carrying your rifle or shotgun or both. The possibility of your pistol getting damaged or knocked out of the holster are higher and you know if the CoF has started and it comes out, you are finished for the day.

If it's a local match and the courses are pretty tame, I would say go for it. If it's pretty intense, you will have to very mindful of your pistol while running the stages.

Thank you for the welcome. And that's what I was thinking. I've done a handful of a local tactical style shoot, and while doing a sprint I felt my gun start to detach from the holster. After that I just looked like a fool trying to sprint with one hand on my gun haha. Thank you though. Looks like ill be looking for a more standard style holster. Hopefully this weekend I can make this one work for me

• 2 weeks later...

I have a CR Speed and as long as it is setup correctly the retention is excellent.. I can jump / run with confidence...

I plan on using the CR Speed for 3 gun. I've been told by a local 3 gun shooter that its fine. Its what he uses. For me, it's been 100% reliable and its never let my handgun loose when I didn't want it to.

I've shot a grand total of one 3G match so far. On the first stage, the RO put his hand on my shoulder and said "Watch your handgun. I've seen a lot of pistols fall out of those race holsters."

This was a match run by a local IDPA club and the RO was doing his best to help me throughout the match, but his comment bothered me throughout the match. Is my confidence in this holster misplaced?

For those that use a CR Speed in 3 gun, do you have it locked or unlocked if you have significant movement before you need to draw?

Can I jump / run with confidence with the holster unlocked.

Thanks.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

As far as race holsters the cr speed would be at the bottom of my Los as far as security. If you use it go locked as running it unlocked is just asking for it to fall out. Even in a pistol match unless its stand and draw I start with my raceholster which is a racemaster locked. The cr a good jolt to the rear is easy to sent the gun flying

If the retention screw is tight enough, the CR-SPeed will not unlock itself. People tend to set the screw a bit free, so it's easier for them to unlock. It works both ways. People also tend to forget to lock the gun when the stage is done. I've seen that many times as a RO..

The only issue with CR-SPeed, you might be able to 'bump' the gun from underneath/below on certain situations. Other than that, it gives a lot more confidence to many practical shooters out there, knowing there's a 'holding cup' for the barrel at the end of a stage :P

As for 3 gun...I don't think it's the ideal choice. Something more closed might prove better, especially since you're not shooting OPEN. A simple bladetech should do it.

I've ran the CR in 10-12 local 3Gun matches both limited and open and never felt insecure. It's always locked unless I'm starting with the pistol first and make sure it's fit to your gun (no side to side wobble).

Not sure what cybrosh is talking about with the retention screw?

As for 3 gun...I don't think it's the ideal choice. Something more closed might prove better, especially since you're not shooting OPEN. A simple bladetech should do it.

Problem is I am shooting in OPEN. Other than race holsters, I've not seen any holster that will hold my open guns. I actually went to a CR Speed after having retention problems with another brand race holster.

What do the big boys use in 3G Open?

Billl

Edited by Flatland Shooter

You could certainly have someone create a custom kydex holster for you, but plenty of folk use the CR for Open 3G. Biggest issue would be going prone with pistol on. Use lock if needed to feel more secure; doesnt add much time (in grand scheme) to flick lock off when transitioning firearms.

I did my first 3G last month and I use a cr speed. The only concern I personally had was that on my second stage, we started with rifle in the prone. When I slightly rolled to the side I was almost laying on my pistol. I didn't like the idea of it being in the open and could possibly get damaged. I then switched to a blade tech dropped offset. Maybe it was me just worrying to much. I don't know. Something to consider.