Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot moving downward in recoil

chp5

I shot a Major 9 Open gun built by JL Hardy yesterday. Great gun!!

The dot seemed to dive downward in recoil for me and my second shots usually were lower than the first. I don't over-grip the gun.

Should I try a lighter recoil spring?

Thanks.

I don't over-grip the gun.

Cy,

Are you 110% sure?

Coming from my G35, I have to really relax my grip when I pick up an Open gun.

It's a timing issue, and one that won't change in the sub-conscious easily.

Flex,

I'm fairly sure I was not over gripping or pushing the gun. The slide doesn't lock back and I dropped the hammer on a empty chamber several times and I didn't seem to be pushing or timing it.

The dot drop seemed to be more pronounced in slow fire. However, what you say makes sense. After shooting a Glock in LTD, maybe I'm subconsciously timing the gun like the Glock.

Maybe it's the grip angle. Who knows. I'll try an arched mainspring housing after I buy the gun to see if that changes things.

Despite the dot drop, it was a lot of fun shooting it.

I had that problem from switching to a non comped gun to a comped gun when I was just playin around.

What it was for me was I was so used to compensating for recoil that I was forcing the dot down with each shot on the open gun....because there was no need to compensate for recoil.

I find with open guns the absolute easist, fastest, and best way to shoot is to just pull the trigger and don't let yourself do anything other than that to the gun.

I had that problem from switching to a non comped gun to a comped gun when I was just playin around.

What it was for me was I was so used to compensating for recoil that I was forcing the dot down with each shot on the open gun....because there was no need to compensate for recoil.

Jake - that could be it. I'm just not conscious of it at all.

What Jake said.

The Open guns hit your hand harder, in a shorter amount of time, but they don't jump up very much. However, they do ALL jump up to some extent.

Any recoil spring will help tilt the muzzle part of the way back down, but never all the way down to level. Your body reaction does the rest, and it can adapt to any spring weight, with time & repetition.

You may find a good preparation is to shoot a .22 first. There's no recovery needed by the shooter at all - just a neutral grip.