Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am wondering about carrying my M&P 9L when I hike and fish back country creeks. It has no external safety so I am wondering how safe it is to carry loaded? It would be in a holster with retention and most likely be covered with a shirt. I prefer to carry my 9L instead of my sub compact I use for CC. Should I carry the 9L with an empty chamber?

It will be perfectly safe as long as the trigger is covered. From what you have described the retention holster you have will be fine.

Yes, the trigger is covered. It is the same rig I use to shoot production. Since I am not as concerned with deep concealment when in the backcountry I feel much more comfortable with my 9L.

Thanks

It's funny that most people say or think I'm silly when I tell them I don't have a round in the chamber when carrying my XD, otherwise known as condition 3, but most people say the only way to carry a 1911 is in condition 1, cocked and locked with the safety applied. I don't know that I've ever met anybody that carries a 1911 in condition 0, cocked and locked without the safety applied.

Personally I just think it's too risky to carry a loaded gun, cocked and locked, that has no manual safety. On the rare occasion I'll carry it in condition 0 when in a high risk enviroment.

If you feel that way, why not carry a DA/SA gun, or a P7 PSP, or a M&P/XD with a manual safety?

That's not the point I'm trying to make. Most folks won't carry a cocked and locked 1911 without the safety applied, but some of those same folks have no problem carrying a loaded striker fired gun with no manual safety....go figure. To me it's a contradiction.

Anyhow, to each his own. If you feel comfortable carrying a loaded gun with no manual safety applied, then go for it.

Your XD also has a trigger safety and a firing pin block, which most 1911's do not, you're comparing apples to oranges.

I respectfully disagree; it's not apples and oranges. Does a so called trigger safety, keep me from accidentally pulling the trigger, or something snagging on the trigger and pulling it, no, it's not 100% reliable.

I am wondering about carrying my M&P 9L when I hike and fish back country creeks. It has no external safety so I am wondering how safe it is to carry loaded? It would be in a holster with retention and most likely be covered with a shirt. I prefer to carry my 9L instead of my sub compact I use for CC. Should I carry the 9L with an empty chamber?

YEP :)

Should I carry the 9L with an empty chamber?

Not unless you are inexperienced at having a loaded weapon on your hip.

A carry system (both the gun and an appropriate holster that prevents inadvertent activation of the trigger), is a minimal risk compared to not being....immediate.

Your XD also has a trigger safety and a firing pin block, which most 1911's do not, you're comparing apples to oranges.

I respectfully disagree; it's not apples and oranges. Does a so called trigger safety, keep me from accidentally pulling the trigger, or something snagging on the trigger and pulling it, no, it's not 100% reliable.

No that would be negligence that would allow an ND, just because you do not trust yourself to carry chambered, does not mean that it is not a safe condition of carry. Carelessness and lack of awareness enhances your risk of an ND, far more than the mechanics of a firearm.

Btw this is not "way off topic", it directly relates to the original post as far as carrying condition.

How exactly are you planning on pulling the trigger while the blaster is holstered? Or are you concerned with the act of holstering? That's a different story.....

Carrying a Glock or XD holstered should be no more or less safe than carrying a cocked and locked SA or a standard DA auto. That part's not the issue......

The smart way to carry a Glcok or XD or M&P with a round in the chamber might be to holster the gun, and then attach the combo to your waistband -- something easily accomplished with a quality IWB with snaps or J hooks. If you need to do administrative handling in the middle of the day, remove the combo from your belt/waistband, and replace it as a holstered gun. That should severely reduce your risk of needing to reholster hot.....