Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is Not Allowed for Open

Cowboy40

Ok so I'm new to the Open division. I have been awarded the MidwayUSA and NRA Scholarship to shoot in the 2013 Bianchi Cup in May. I have a local gun smithing shop that is willing to lend me a gun for the event. He does awesome work and puts Trijicon Red Dot Sights on the top. This I know is allowed in Open along with his stippling work.

My question is this. He does custom Slide Serrations on the top and sides of the pistols that are not factory. Is this legal?

Here is his web site for pictures ateiguns.com/

Please let me know I have read through the NRA's competitive pistol rules and it is not specific when it comes to the Open Division.

Thanks for your help! Stay Safe

I doubt anything you can come up with would be illegal on a Bianchi. A lot of the stuff that USPSA uses today like thumb rests that also make excellent barricade rests came from those guns.

Dots with multiple dots for the movers are a nice addition.

3.1 Open Firearms - Any semi-automatic handgun or revolver used in competition shall be serviceable and

safe. If any pistol is observed to be unserviceable or unsafe, it shall be withdrawn at the request of the tournament

director. The term "firearm" as used in these rules includes anything attached, permanently or temporarily, to the

pistol. All standard safety features of the guns must operate properly.

Though when I shot the match 20 years ago there wasn't an Open 1911 that the grip safety hadn't been pinned.

Edited by GigG

Open is basically a run what you want division. the guns pictured in your link will well within the rules, most of the open competitors will be running much more specialized equipment.

here is a link to the NRA action pistol rule book http://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Action/act-book.pdf

Mike

you can only have a 170mm magazine, other that that the sky is the limit. Barrel shroud, wings, red dots, slide cuts, magwell, just about anything.

Don't know where you got that info, but that's not correct. There is no magazine restriction, except that they all must be the same. Kinda hard to fit a 170mm magazine in a single-stack 1911, and that's what most of the Open guns are/were before customizing.

Alan~^~

While they allow them it isn't like long mags are any use. You can't pick up missed shots and no string is longer than six rounds unless there is a required reload. That and the ability to hold the barrel against the barricade is the reason the NRA Action was dominated by revolvers for so long.

Edited by GigG

Just to clarify, is this for USPSA Open Division or for Open Division in NRA Action Pistol for the Bianchi Cup?

Those are two VERY different games with two VERY different guns and different rules. Just as one example, NRA Action Pistol has a minimum trigger pull of 2 pounds. USPSA has no limit and you will often see lighter trigger pulls. USPSA guns are generally lighter and built to handle high pressure rounds. NRA AP open guns usually have a barrel shroud so you can grip the gun against a barricade...they also generally have a special scope mount that can be adjusted to dial in lead for shooting the Biachi Cup's Moving Target event. If you're gun is for NEA AP, you're better off asking in the "NRA - Bianchi Cup" subforum in the Other Shooting Sports folder.

2lb trigger or heavier and all working safeties including the grip safety. They check before the match and randomly during.

Other than that its pretty much anything goes. Definitely all you are talking about. Are you a junior attending for the first time? If so Midway had in years past offered very generous cash incentives for first time shooters in Production. It's a great way to start out. Not sure if they are doing it this year.

:roflol:

No machine pistols, although it may sound like one when you shoot an open gun well.

I watched Max Jr. shoot most of the stages at teh LA Gator/Area 4 last year and I do believe he had a full auto-pistol.