Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO class

Wildcanine

Im taking my first RO class the end of march and other than reading the rule book all I have done is print a larger copy (easier to read) do ya'll have any suggestion on what I need to take with me. I am assuming that I need my shooting gear, the rule book and a open mind any help would be great thanks Jeff

Read through some of the longer threads on the Rules forum. This will give you an idea of gray some of the rules can be. What is legal in one COF is illegal in another just because of how things are worded. How what might be an apparent easy call using a specific rule can be overturned by the CRO, RM or in arbitration because you either sited the wrong rule or you "Thought" they committed the infraction rather than you knew without a doubt that they committed it.

Pay attention to the stage design parts of these threads. There are a lot of little tricks that can affect the legality of a stage. The better you understand and visualize the possible shoot through's, safe angles, and safe distances of stage design the easier it will be to understand the rules that apply to them.

In the time between now and the end of March try and spend time with a senior RO at a match or two. Ask why some things are ruled or called like they were. Class time is fine but most learning takes place in the real world of making the call. Even if the call is apparent and you have a question about "What if....". The more you understand about how the rules are applied the easier the class will be.

If you do not already know them, spend some serious time learning the range commands. Spend some time observing other shooters and watch their hand movements as the apply safeties, load and unload guns, holster those guns. It is ultimately on the shooter but it is your responsibility to make sure that the safeties are applied at "Make Ready" and the guns are clear before you give the command "If Clear, Hammer Down, Holster".

Realize that you are not expected to be 100% proficient at knowing the rules at the end of class. Keep your rule book handy so that when someone asks "Can I do this?" you can look up the applicable rule rather than trying to answer entirely by memory.

If you have not already noticed it, the rule book is laid out in a pattern. The early rules apply to setting up the match, the middle rules apply to running the match, the later rules apply to scoring and penalties. Some times it is quicker to just open the book to the right area, some times it is quicker to use the index at the end to find a specific rule. Pay attention to how the rules are cross referenced. There might be three applicable rules. One in setup, one in match management and the final one in scoring/penalties. Any one of or all of the rules might apply to the decision that needs to be made.

Just hosted an RO class. Actually do not need to bring anything to the class the first day as even pens on a rope are provided! You will get issued a rule book, 2 overlays, pen, and a workbook. Just be ready to absorb a lot in a day and a half. Day two was about half day of classroom then a range exercise where you MUST RO a shooter.

I also think you should be attending the class because you want to RO matches. Not just become more familiar with the rules.

The real learning comes after you get your RO card. You have to RO to learn to be a good RO.

I have no idea why my computer felt that needed to be underlined

Yeah I just read that and thought, "What the F%3% is wrong with this guy?!! :roflol:Becoming an RO is a great thing. It makes you a better shooter and you get to contribute to matches more

Just beware of the pitfall of getting more involved in ROing than shooting. Once you become an established RO you pretty much get tapped regularly to help out at your locals. Sometimes it's a good thing to just say no and take a break and just focus on shooting.

I am taking the RO class to help run stages at my local club but I am also a shooter and I think knowing the rules will help me get better. Thanks for all the advice

Knowing the rules will help you when you run into an RO that makes a call a certain way that you know is wrong, or at least feel strong enough that it is wrong that you question him and consult the rulebook.

I've stopped counting the amount of times I've heard "i didn't break the perf"; "no, i don't have an overlay"; "no, i'm not an RO but i know that is correct"...you get the idea. There are plenty of guys out there that have been doing this for a very long time. They either knew the rules years ago, which have changed, or they never knew the rules, but have just called things a certain way for so long that they believe it is a rule.

You will be better armed (yes, pun intended ) after the class to politely inform them they are incorrect, show them the rule, and you will benefit from the correct call, and hopefully that RO will benefit from your understanding of the rules.