Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RX Glasses

Matt W

I did a search and read the sticky, but I still have a question about prescription shooting glasses. Do most of you guys prefer actual RX lenses like ESS has or the lens adapter that goes behind the lenses like the Rudy project has? I've seen some complaints that the lens adapters have weird glares and such do to the double lenses. Those seem do be a little more cost effective if you want a clear set and a tinted set rather than having two sets of RX lenses made up for the ESS glasses.

Thanks

I'll try and answer this. I use Decot glasses for trapshooting. I carry 5 different lenses. The last time I replaced them, they were about $300 each. I use the two lens system for for pistol. That's less than $200 for the insert and $100 for 4 or 5 lenses. The Decot is very clear, the two lenses, not so much. Also, a friend who used to use Decot, had a ricochet hit his glasses and it shattered into many sharp fragments. When he made the comment to Decot, they said "their lenses are shatter resistant". I believe, there are some wraparound prescription lenses, but I'm not sure they meet the safety requirements. So, you're going to give up a little in clarity, but gaining in safety (not only shatter resistance, but wrap around protection) and saving money.

I hope this helps.

Edited by kmca

I'll try and answer this. I use Decot glasses for trapshooting. I carry 5 different lenses. The last time I replaced them, they were about $300 each. I use the two lens system for for pistol. That's less than $200 for the insert and $100 for 4 or 5 lenses. The Decot is very clear, the two lenses, not so much. Also, a friend who used to use Decot, had a ricochet hit his glasses and it shattered into many sharp fragments. When he made the comment to Decot, they said "their lenses are shatter resistant". I believe, there are some wraparound prescription lenses, but I'm not sure they meet the safety requirements. So, you're going to give up a little in clarity, but gaining in safety (not only shatter resistance, but wrap around protection) and saving money.

I hope this helps.

If the lens that shattered was really a safety lens than it would not have broken.

I hope this helps.

If the lens that shattered was really a safety lens than it would not have broken.

That's right. That's why I don't use them where ricochet damage is possible.

I purchased two pair of the ESS Ice with prescription insert about two years ago. One prescription was my normal vision for shooting my open gun; the other was normal prescription left eye with the right eye a + prescription to bring the front sight into focus for my limited gun. These probably don't get cleaned as often as they should since the prescription insert needs to be removed for cleaning between the lenses.

I then started shooting a little 3 gun and found that since the prescription insert was a little smaller than normal glasses, I was having a problem with the 'eye box' on the scope. I ordered a pair of WileyX with my limited gun prescription in the frames. These were obtained from ADS Sports Eyeware out Texas. I had these lenses made from Trivex rather than polycarbonate. These have worked out very well for me shooting limited and 3 gun.

The free form RX from Rudy Project may be your solution.

http://www.rudyproje...ee_form_tek.php

Thanks for the link, I didn't see those earlier. There is a dealer close, hopefully they will have a selection of frames and the lens colors that I can look at. After reading some of the replies I'm thinking this might be the way to go, I'm just not sure I'll like the lens adapters.

I use a very similar product to that, but mine comes from TX. Lenscrafters is were I got mine. Right now I only have sunglasses in the wrap around style, but will be buying a new set just for shooting when my taxes come in.

Thanks for the link, I didn't see those earlier. There is a dealer close, hopefully they will have a selection of frames and the lens colors that I can look at. After reading some of the replies I'm thinking this might be the way to go, I'm just not sure I'll like the lens adapters.

+1 on Flack Jacket's suggestion. I use both the adapter and the Rx Interchangeable lenses and by far the direct in frame is much better. They are ground from blanks to your prescription and comes out super clear. The ImpactX Photochromic lenses adjust to light conditions and are very tough. A bit pricey but totally worth it. Use Dancin Dan's link and code for a great deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the ESS crossbow with the insert. One thing I have an issue with is my left eye, which happens to be my dominant eye, has a bad astigmatism. The inserts have a heavy curve to them which does not play nicely with the astigmatism. I originally thought ESS didn't get the prescription right but my eye doc confirmed that its right and explained why I was having the issue. It's close, but not quite as good as my normal glasses.