Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Brass Weasel 9000

EricW

Tumbler2_Small.jpg

It slices! It dices! It's a tree-chipper! It can cut pop cans, but remains sharp enough to smash a tomato. Sometimes you might actually decide to clean your brass with it.

Right now, it's only sporting the 2 gal. bucket, but shall soon be supersized with a 5 gal. bucket. You can clean about 5-700 pieces of brass in the 2 gal version. Should get proportionally more in the 5 gal. bucket, which will be very nice when I buy 5 to 10K of brass at a time.

The mechanics:

It's a small, maybe 1/5 HP motor running at about 700 rpm - which is the only practical way to make it spin slow enough with one belt reduction. The giant pulley I found at a surplus electronics store. I have a second pulley to use to mount the 5 gal bucket. I'm using the weight of the motor as the belt "tensioner". It's a trick I stole from a 1930-ish power hacksaw of we inherited from my grandfather. And yes, the bungee cords are cheesy, but hey, they work.

By the way, the secret to getting the brass to tumble instead of follow the bucket around in circles, is to tilt the bucket. That's why it's at an angle. Otherwise you have to really gear the sucker down. The other good part is that there's no weight pushing the lid open.

Also, if you keep the brass load low, it's extremely quiet. Far more quiet than a vibe bowl.

Total cost in parts: approx. $75 including steel.

And no, I will never sell make and sell something like this as you could buy three Dillon tumblers for the same retail price. For somebody with a few hours and some spare parts, it's a neat-little project.

Erik, Master-Tinkerer, for sure. :lol:

Cool gadget, though. Sorry, I don't have room for it or I'd order one. I'm in the throes of hauling in more computers, monitors, and that sort of crap. Space? What space??!!

Many, many times, however, I've wanted a tumbler that'd hold more than 210 rds of brass...... :rolleyes:

I'm kinda disappointed because when I saw the title I was expecting some device that would retreive the brass from the ground. Why don't you get to work on that.

Because it's already been invented. Southern Belle Brass sells them.

I'm kinda disappointed because when I saw the title I was expecting some device that would retreive the brass from the ground. Why don't you get to work on that.

The Brass Buggy, which is just really a Golf Ball picker upper (with narrower tines).

SouthernBelleBrassFlyer.jpg

Dryer, take bucket/plastic 2l coke bottles/etc, fill 3/4 or less with media and cases, roll into blanket/sleeping bag/etc, jam into dryer, set to NO HEAT and turn on for 60min. Ensure bucket/bottle/etc are at an angle......Watch for maximum weight limit of dryer.

A friend does about 1500 to 2000 case per go this way.... :rolleyes:

Dryer, take bucket/plastic 2l coke bottles/etc, fill 3/4 or less with media and cases, roll into blanket/sleeping bag/etc, jam into dryer, set to NO HEAT and turn on for 60min. Ensure bucket/bottle/etc are at an angle......Watch for maximum weight limit of dryer.

God, if one of those things let go in the dryer my wife would friggin kill me.

God, if one of those things let go in the dryer my wife would friggin kill me.

Empty cases, not loaded ammo <_<

Oops...have seen some do it....no holes yet from what I hear....

Yep, that could get messy and the media will probably clog all the little holes in the dryer - can you say divorce by death..... :P

Busy building a similar unit to the BW9000, will see if it works... :D

That reminds me of a conversation I had years ago with a commercial reloader. His "small" brass tumbler, the one he used for the odd calibers he was occasionally asked to reload, was a.....cement mixer.

The big ones he used were wooden drums, four feet in diameter and seven feet long, turned by the biggest electric motors I had ever seen outside of a machine shop. He had no idea who made them, or how old they were, as he'd bought the business lock, stock and barrel years before.

He needed them to keep feeding his multiple Camdex machines to keep up with police contracts.

After that, my Dillon presses and multiple tumbler/vibrators seemed so......small and unmanly.

was a.....cement mixer.

Pat,

Acutually, if I was going to build a larger tumber......I wouldn't. I'd buy a harbor freight cement mixer for the $300 or whatever they sell for. The downer would be the power bill. The larger motors really suck the amps. Don't ask me how anyone gets brass "clean" in an hour of tumbling either. I run my tumblers, vibratory and rotating, overnight and still wish my brass was cleaner.

The one thing I learned about this project was the importance of collecting old (1920's - 1950's) washing machine motors. New motors all spin at 1750 rpm and up forcing another belt reduction, which adds $50 to $75 to the cost of the project. Brand new motors are EXPENSIVE. Holy Schmolie! Thank god for surplus stores.