Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm in limited

Rick88

I thought about this too Rick88.... Due to the supply situation in my area. Although I do intend to have a proper LTD pistol in the future in 40 S&W.

I"m considering this also:

Pros:

• ESP Gun when built to spec.
  • Excellent 3Gun Pistol
  • Lower cost lead than 40
  • Due to Minor scoring, ensures the shooter make good hits
  • Low muzzle flip, load minor PF rounds
  • High capacity
  • Multi top end capability: Build another open top end and scope mount for open pistol
  • Multi Division. Limited and Limited 10 Minor in USPSA
  • Excellent 2011 platform with SA trigger

Cons:

• Minor PF scoring

I thought about this too Rick88.... Due to the supply situation in my area. Although I do intend to have a proper LTD pistol in the future in 40 S&W.

Pros:

• ESP Gun when built to spec. so is a .40
  • Excellent 3Gun Pistol so is a 40
  • Lower cost lead than 40 wrong, lead is lead, usually by weight, 147's to 155 not really any difference,
  • Due to Minor scoring, ensures the shooter make good hits again what makes that different than a 40 ?
  • Low muzzle flip, load minor PF rounds ditto with a 40, in fact even lower recoil,
  • High capacity while true, does it translate to an advantage ? my 40 holds 23 rounds. How many you gonna get in a 9 140 and will there ever be a stage where it matters ?
  • Multi top end capability: Build another open top end and scope mount for open pistol doesnt normally work on 2011 platforms, can usually buy a seperate gun for what it costs to build a second top end.
  • Multi Division. Limited and Limited 10 Minor in USPSA um so can a 40.
  • Excellent 2011 platform with SA trigger again nothing to do with caliber.

Cons:

• Minor PF scoring 40 can make major in Limited.

None of these "pros" have anything to do with 9mm.

40 is a much more versatile game gun. The ONLY advantage to a 9 is capacity in open, in ,limited minor scoring will eat up the one or two round advantage. another possibilty would be price and availability of factory ammo.

Pros:

• ESP Gun when built to spec. so is a .40
  • Excellent 3Gun Pistol so is a 40
  • Lower cost lead than 40 wrong, lead is lead, usually by weight, 147's to 155 not really any difference,
  • Due to Minor scoring, ensures the shooter make good hits again what makes that different than a 40 ?
  • Low muzzle flip, load minor PF rounds ditto with a 40, in fact even lower recoil,
  • High capacity while true, does it translate to an advantage ? my 40 holds 23 rounds. How many you gonna get in a 9 140 and will there ever be a stage where it matters ?
  • Multi top end capability: Build another open top end and scope mount for open pistol doesnt normally work on 2011 platforms, can usually buy a seperate gun for what it costs to build a second top end.
  • Multi Division. Limited and Limited 10 Minor in USPSA um so can a 40.
  • Excellent 2011 platform with SA trigger again nothing to do with caliber.

Cons:

• Minor PF scoring 40 can make major in Limited.

None of these "pros" have anything to do with 9mm.

40 is a much more versatile game gun. The ONLY advantage to a 9 is capacity in open, in ,limited minor scoring will eat up the one or two round advantage. another possibilty would be price and availability of factory ammo.

I definitely agree you points Joe4D,

My thought was to purchase / build 9mm LTD for ME due the current available 9mm STI mags in inventory from my Open pistol and Short dust cover 2011 on hand and to share that 9mm is not a waste of time in LTD.

Maybe that's all he has?

So like any experienced shooter, I's like to share why 9mm LTD works for me.

Correct on the lead. Of course 147 and 155 are close in cost...... 125 gr 355 does cost less than the desired 180 .401 .....

Depending on skilled gunsmith, multi top end works fine.

My last point regarding platform, was a bit vague and out of context with the thread, but my point intended, because majority of 9mm shooters may use striker/DA/SA pistols. and we all love the SA trigger in 1911/2011

OP wanted to shoot 9mm not to tell him 40 is king (which it is in LTD, I"m sure he knows this too)

I shoot 9mm limited minor from time to time. It is not a waste of time. I do not have a proper limited gun in 40.

Instead, I built some 21-round magazines in 9mm for my SP01 Shadow and play in limited as a break from production from time to time. I am learning stage breakdown and more aggressive movement (when I don't have to be looking at the magwell every few shots) and that will help my limited game once I get a true limited gun. Plus, the 9mm limited is FUN, and I can get my mags to 23 reloadable very easily, which is nice.

Now, is my gun competitive in limited? NO. But I don't care about that.

Edited by lawboy

Pros:

• ESP Gun when built to spec.
  • Excellent 3Gun Pistol
  • Lower cost lead than 40
  • Due to Minor scoring, ensures the shooter make good hits
  • Low muzzle flip, load minor PF rounds
  • High capacity
  • Multi top end capability: Build another open top end and scope mount for open pistol
  • Multi Division. Limited and Limited 10 Minor in USPSA
  • Excellent 2011 platform with SA trigger

Cons:

• Minor PF scoring

Just shoot A's........ then there are no cons.