Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

El Prez and all my other friends

jkushner1

I have been shooting production and will become a C shooter soon - Competing for about 1.5 years - 60-70 events. Anyway, at my last match, I guess because it was a classififer and subconcioussely I was putting pressure on myself, I made the turn during an El Prez stage and just started firing completely out of sync, without proper aiming and not calling my shots or even attempting to call them. I had 2 mikes on the first target after both passes, and mostly C's on the other two. I have an all qualifier event coming up in the next few weeks, and need to start to focus on a mindset that will be the theme for the entire match. Please provide your advice. I know that speed and over confidence probably were the biggest factors in that royal mess up. So those who can help. please do !

Thanks again,

jkushner1

:blink:

If you can find out what the classifiers you are going to be shooting are going to be, that might help you prepair. Otherwise, you need to tell yourself to shoot the classifiers like any other stage. This works on 2 levels, in that you should then shoot to your abilities, and it will also mean that the level the classifiers go in at will be a proper representation of you abilities. ;)

I am certainly not among the more experienced shooters on this forum (I am a B shooter, Production), but decided to respond anyway since I have experienced something very similar to what you described.

I found that my goal affects my mindset. If my goal today is to beat my buddy because he'd beat me last time, that will be my motto today, but that's not how accurate shooting is done. The accurate shooting consists of the sight picture and trigger control. Well, may be a few more technical things... So, if my goal is to make a smooth draw, register the sight picture, let the gun fire, see the sights lift and come back, let the gun fire, see the sights lift, see next target, drive the gun there, register the sights, let the gun fire... and so on, - then perhaps I can have a chance to beat my buddy. In Zen terms, I have to be HERE and NOW, which in this case means to me that when I shoot, I only shoot and have no other goal or purpose.

Just my .02

Your mind can only hold one thought at a time. If that thought happens to be speed or performance....your screwed.

Let your vision guide the shooting. Make vision the guiding thought...the only thing that can be on your mind. Forget about speed all together.

Take a step back.

SLOW down some and watch your front sight, get your hits and you will gain the confidence to shoot the Classifiers to your ability because you "know" you will get your hits.

Remember "see what you need to see"

Trust yourself. Typically the classifier is the easiest event of any match. You will never encounter a shot you can't easily make, every skill you are required to perform you have done a million times before in practice and in live fire. The courses are so short you can easily visualize the entire scenario from the buzzer to the last shot punching through the paper. Classifiers are easy. Like Flex said, let your vision guide your shooting and the time will be what it will be. The only pressure at a four classifier event is the pressure you bring with you so just leave it at home. :)

Step in the box, in your best Denzel/Training Day voice shout, "Rob Leatham ain't got nothing on me!" Then just try like hell to get all the rounds out of the gun as fast as possible, the bullets know where they are supposed to go. I think all this zen/vision/calling your shots stuff is overrated and can only take you so far. I think if you shoot a stage in the fastest time, even if you zero it due to poor hits/penalties, deep down you really won. I'll test this theory out at this weekends special and report back. :D

Step in the box, in your best Denzel/Training Day voice shout, "Rob Leatham ain't got nothing on me!" Then just try like hell to get all the rounds out of the gun as fast as possible, the bullets know where they are supposed to go. I think all this zen/vision/calling your shots stuff is overrated and can only take you so far. I think if you shoot a stage in the fastest time, even if you zero it due to poor hits/penalties, deep down you really won. I'll test this theory out at this weekends special and report back. :D

Hey John,

This is so-o-o Zen, man! I will do it too...

Rob Leatham ain't got nothing on me!

Do you mind if I add it for my signature?

Vlad

....and you won on style points too, right? 

Yeah. Right now I'm perfecting my hackey sack unload and show clear. Rack the slide, kick the round up. I can't decide whether it is cooler to catch it in my hat with a flourish, or just have it land in a pocket. The darn ROs keep getting in the way and complaining when I kick them. Step back suckers, style like this needs some room!

I swear I am not drunk, just punchy. :P

I just finished doing the stats. I wasn't on John's squad, so I didn't get to watch him shoot but I have seen the aftermath, I mean results.

As near as I can figure, some of John's bullets got out of the gun mighty fast, but they paid absolutely no attention to where they were going. Or maybe they were just mean spirited little projectiles.

As for style points, John always has great style. He is a class act.

I just finished doing the stats. I wasn't on John's squad, so I didn't get to watch him shoot but I have seen the aftermath, I mean results.

As near as I can figure, some of John's bullets got out of the gun mighty fast, but they paid absolutely no attention to where they were going. Or maybe they were just mean spirited little projectiles.

As for style points, John always has great style. He is a class act.

Where's the video? :huh::P:D