Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Style 9mm

hoghunter

I called a few shops listed on the STI website in FL as dealers but none in stock anywhere. Thanks to fellow forum member gator11 who has graciously offered to let me handle his CZ SP-01 Shadow Target and his STI Trojan so I can at least put them in my hand. I must admit that before yesterday I knew nothing about STI. This really is a great forum and awesome members.

Edited by hoghunter

If you decide to go with the STI you may want to look at some of the folks who have them on their web sites like Shooters Connection, Dawson or Brazos and then just pay the transfer fee to your local ffl. They may even know an ffl they have sent guns to in the past. Just watch out for the fees they vary here from $20 to $50. Good luck and get the one you like the 1911's are just fun to shoot so get out there and shoot in some of the local matches they are a ton of fun and a lot of great folks out there!

Tom

Bought my Trojan off Gunbroker second hand already had Ed Brown mag well, extended saftey and ambi's several years back. Did trigger work added a Dawson front sight and had it hard chromed. Several local shooters here have gone over to a Trojan. Mine is four years old and had thousands of rounds through it.

Trojan's are well built comes with quality parts, accurate, just a lot of fun.

Looking at new might want to add a few extras at the time of purchase. As Tohm stated go with one of the dealers on the forum you won't be disappointed. Which ever model you choose expect to spend a little on tuning and extras.

Magazines, these little guns take a little tuning and run better with quality magazines. I've tried Metalform and Wilson and prefer Wilson but had to remove two coils from the magazine springs. Metalform fed well but prefered the feel of Wilson. I'm sure other here have had good results with other brands.

Suggest purchacing a set of recoil springs in 9lb, 10lb and 12lb to see which works best for you and your ammo. At present I'm running a 10lb recoil and a 15lb main spring gun cycles quickly low mussel flip using Solo 1000 and heavier bullets. 1911 run best wet and I prefer Mobil 1 5W30 as a lubricant.

One lesson I learned. I bought my STI Edge from "Company X" it was one of the "tuned" versions. I was thinking of having some work done by "Company B" (nothing against "X" they were not willing to do what I wanted) but some of these bigger shops will not work on your gun unless you bought it from them. I have no problem with that but I did not realize it at the time. I would suggest not buying a tuned gun! Buy one (with the sights you want) shoot it until you find something you need or want and then pay for what you decide.

Put it this way, I traded an sti Spartan and an AR for a Smith pro 9mm. The Smith is an awesome 9mm 1911, the Spartan just didn't hold up and perform to my liking. You get what you pay for in 1911s.

I've never heard anyone say bad things about an sti trojan. I'd makes room for one in my safe.

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY TAURUS!!! I know serveral people who have had them and none had a positive experience...most don't own them anymore.