Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Style 9mm

hoghunter

Fondled a S&W Pro 1911 today and really loved the pointability and grip. Never owned a 1911 style pistol before so I'm coming from a total newbie perspective. I know most 1911 platforms are .45cal guns. Is there a recommended 9mm 1911 pistol out there? Something that is known for reliability and worth the money (not looking for STI right now). I'm not using it for any specific competition just range fun for right now. Sorry if this belongs in another forum.

Edited by hoghunter

you might look at a Taurus PT-1911 in 9mm. They come stock with a few more goodies than a lot of others for less money. I've got one in .45 and like it quite well. Probably would not recommend it if you were in heavy competition but for a shooter will do quite well.

Para Ordinance 18-9 is not a bad pick, look for an older Canadian model or one of the newer North Carolinian models. I have 3 Para's and a Les Baer, the para's shoot very well, all things considered. I have a Para made in Canada, NC, and FL, the one from FL is of a noticeable lower quality.

The P14-45 I have that was made in NC is nearly as accurate as my Les Baer, it really is; I used it in my first 3 gun match and it it ran like a top.

For just plinking around, Rock Island makes a 1911 in 9mm. I have not shot one but they feel nice and have a lot of potential in them. STI Spartans come in .45, .40 and 9mm, price starts at $635 from Dawson. If I remember correctly, the Spartan is built in the same factory as the Rock Islands are, just with some STI parts slapped on there. I just picked up a used one, have not shot it yet but the quality seems fairly good.

Para gone back to a real extractor yet ?

They did get rid of the Power Extractor and are using one from EGW, still not standard 1911 but an excellent upgrade all the same. Like I said, my "new" 1445 eats and spits out everything. I reload and I have run the gambit of loads in it.

Thanks guys. I need to do a lot of research on 9mm 1911s it seems. My natural thought was Colt but not sure if they make a full size 9mm (I've seen the Defender and New Agent). I saw a funky Kimber in 9mm with colored grips but in the limited 1911 reading I've done it seems Kimber catches a lot of hell.

I just bought a Kimber Raptor II 45 for carry and ordered a STI Trojan in 40 (ordered because i reload 40's for my STI Edge) for steel plate and single stack. I agree there are other manufacturers out there of good quality I just have had good luck and enjoy shooting STI's and believe if you choose to move forward and play in one of the sports an STI gets you a good starting point for a good price. Good luck on your purchase.

Just checked out the STI website. Very impressive line of handguns. What would be considered their most popular "all-around" 9mm 1911? I am not a game shooter at this point and have no dreams of being competitive other than a local club shoot. Would love to find a few to handle in Central Florida. I see a few shops listed but many times I see shops listed they don't actually have anything (for example, try to find a CZ anywhere that is listed on their FL stocking dealers). Thanks

Edited by hoghunter

For an entry gun the Spartan is affordable decent (I never had one heard they are produced off shore). The Trojan is the one i ordered, I could not find anyone who had a bad word to say about the Trojan. They are a little more money but a better longer lasting pistol.

In my experience i usually want the best and then decide well this will be good enough, then it isn't so i end up buying what i should have bought in the first place. That said i spend 1.7 times what i should have spent. So it depends on where you want to start and where you want to go. If you are going to shoot under a thousand rounds a year and not compete much it has more to do with disposable income.

The Spartan will probably shoot better than my ability but the Trojan is what i wanted with the fibre sights (that is what i have on my Edge). I also plan to shoot a lot so i figure i don't have to worry about the reliability with the Trojan. STI does stand behind their product they understand the competitive games they support.

When i talked to them about sales for this year they were big on the tactical rail models in 9mm as they believe the tactical rails (night shoots) is going to be a growing market. So if you want to mount a light that matters also (I am older and have trouble seeing in daylight).

Just my two cents here, but there are in my opinion three things that are crucial for me to purchase a 1911 gun. When i pull the trigger will it go Bang, Sights and Trigger pull. These are things to give serious consideration too before you buy. I went to the local fun store and tried every 1911 i could find and when i left i ordered a Trojan with the fibre front sight. For durability, reliability (my Edge experience) trigger (as good as anything in its price range, not too expensive to have a good smith tune up latter after breaking in) and sights (i love my Edge sights with Dawson fibre front).

Have a Trojan in 9mm. Should be several hundred bucks under the cost of a S@W. Any pistol used in competition should have adjustable sights.

All STI pistols are seies 70, no internal firing pin lock, easier to do trigger work on. Money tight look at STI's Spartan made in the Philippines. Guns built in the Philippines all seem to be tight, well built for the money. Have a friend with a Rock Island and he shoots it well. You just need to look at several of the dealers sites or Gunbroker to get prices. Not much on Taurus 1911's weak internals poor quality. You may get a good one you might not.

Kimber and Springfield make some 9mm pistols. Which ever you choose expect to spend a little, mag wells, trigger work etc. A little more spent on the front end is money well spent.

I picked up the S&W 1911 Pro in 9mm last year. Was looking at the Springfield Loaded, but after handling both of them, went with the Smith. Initially had some cycling issues but once I started using Mobil1 to lubricate, they went away. I like the gun but haven't shot a lot of other 1911s to compare.

Fondled a S&W Pro 1911 today and really loved the pointability and grip. Never owned a 1911 style pistol before so I'm coming from a total newbie perspective. I know most 1911 platforms are .45cal guns. Is there a recommended 9mm 1911 pistol out there? Something that is known for reliability and worth the money (not looking for STI right now). I'm not using it for any specific competition just range fun for right now. Sorry if this belongs in another forum.

I have been shooting an STI Trojan 9mm for about 15 years. Probably has at least 30k rounds fired. You won't find a better value in a semi-custom 1911.

If you put a Trojan against a Spartan the Trojan will win every time IMHO. Sometimes it's worth the extra$

I think that's apples to oranges. The Spartan was brought out to compete against other cheap mass made guns like Para, SA, Colt, etc and it is a good value for that. The Trojan is a semi custom (fitted) 1911 and you pay a little more for that but you get a lot better gun.