Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Odd flash hole

Lowleft

Found 2 cases that the flash hole is about twice the size as normal. I was sorting some brass by head stamp and came across these 2. Both are winchester. Have about 3 hundred winchester cases and these are the only 2 like this. Anyone ever seen this.

The one on the left is what all the others look like.

post-44537-0-57844000-1360614216_thumb.j

Edited by Lowleft

Part of the efforts to reduce back thrust of lead free primers. Once it was found there was no real detriment, it was easier to make them all the same instead of cases for standard and cases for lead free.

Then the change to small primers for lead free since it reduced the area of back thrust. So they ended up with separate cases anyway.

The large lead free primers, with cases with standard flash holes would peen the breech face (depending on the gun)

Guy

That's not a flash hole. It's a flash cavern.

That's funny. LOL

I've decided to load these 2 along with about 10 of the ones with normal size holes and then chrono to see if there is a noticeable difference. Probably won't be able to get to the range till the end of next week. I'll post my findings when I do.

Ok. Finally got to test these. I loaded ten total. All Winchester brass, cci 500 primers, 4.6 grn VV N320 all charges weighed individually, OAL 1.250 variation of less than .003". I weighed out ten bullets that were within .2 grains of each other. Bullets were Bayou 230 RN. Test gun was a STI Sentry 5"

10 shot string. Low 731 high 786 avg 757. es 55 sd 15

First shot was 731 (i've noticed that the first shot is usually my lowest velocity, not sure why, maybe round is chambered differently than when gun cycles under fire, maybe because chamber is colder, maybe someone can answer this)

2. 760

3. 780 - large flash hole

4. 786 - large flash hole

5. 750

6. 750

7. 753

8. 762

9. 753

10. 748

Looks to me like there was a noticeable difference in velocity between the cases with the large flash hole. As you can see they were about 30 fps higher than the cases with the normal size flash hole. I inspected the cases after firing and couldn't see any sign of blow by around the primers. However these are light loads. I don't know what might have happened if I loaded these a little on the hot side.

Hope this information helps someone. I had a lot of fun with this. This is part of the reason I enjoy reloading, it's also a learning experience.

Interesting. How long before all the gamers are reaming/drilling their flash holes to gain a free 20-30 fps without having to use more powder? I assume there was no noticed difference in recoil.

Interesting. How long before all the gamers are reaming/drilling their flash holes to gain a free 20-30 fps without having to use more powder? I assume there was no noticed difference in recoil.

I couldn't tell any difference. But I was shooting from a rest which sometimes makes it a little harder to tell slight differences.

What really amazed me was how consistent the velocity was using matched head stamps. I've always used mixed head stamps and never sorted by brand.

I'm breaking out my high speed drills as I type this.

I recetnly ran across a good number of range found WW brass with larger than normal flash holes.

I have since learned they are supposdly enlarged to provide better chance of ignition for WW large lead free primers in their factory ammo.

I stuffed them in a separate coffee can for now. I'll try to replicate your test some day.

However NONE of the WW brass I found with the enlarged holes were as vast as the one you pictured.

That is truly cavernous.

I think a alien armed with a probe got to that one.

• 2 weeks later...

That is truly cavernous.

I think a alien armed with a probe got to that one.

hahaha that's signature material right there!

Ok. Finally got to test these. I loaded ten total. All Winchester brass, cci 500 primers, 4.6 grn VV N320 all charges weighed individually, OAL 1.250 variation of less than .003". I weighed out ten bullets that were within .2 grains of each other. Bullets were Bayou 230 RN. Test gun was a STI Sentry 5"

10 shot string. Low 731 high 786 avg 757. es 55 sd 15

First shot was 731 (i've noticed that the first shot is usually my lowest velocity, not sure why, maybe round is chambered differently than when gun cycles under fire, maybe because chamber is colder, maybe someone can answer this)

2. 760

3. 780 - large flash hole

4. 786 - large flash hole

5. 750

6. 750

7. 753

8. 762

9. 753

10. 748

Excellent info and very interesting indeed! Thanks for sharing that!

I have drilled out regular cases to have that size when I am setting the trigger on one of my revolvers. With the larger flash hole, the primer does not come back out of the pocket and hang up the wheelgun between adjustments. you may have found a couple that someone did that to and then just forgot to not use in their regular load.