Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Collection of drills?

Pistolskytte

Hi all!

I'm in my first season of IPSC shooting, so I'm in need og simple drills that will improve my basic skills. Basically I suck. Everything I do is slow, and I don't even double tap unless the target is really, really close.

I've got all the gear, now what I need is practice, and lots of it.

I practice with a handfull of buddies at the same (lack of) skill level. We set up 3-4 stages and shoot them like it was a match, but even though this is a lot of fun, I don't think it's a very efficient way of training.

I'm thinking: "Someone must have been in my situation before!".

Does anyone know of a website with basic drills for beginners? Can you point me in the right direction?

I found a few drills while browsing old posts in here, but I was wondering if there was a shortcut to gathering enough drills to fill out the rest of the training sessions this year?

Fast Fumble

www.uckfup.dk

Get yourself Steve Anderson's "Refinement and Repetitions" book on dry-firing drills (see the paid advertising section of the forums), and Saul Kirsch's "Perfect Practice" book on live-fire drills (on www.doublealpha.biz).

To expand more, you could buy Matt Burkett's DVDs on training techniques.

I picked up Saul's book "Perfect Practice" at Nationals-- it's geared towards live-fire practice and is a great source of drills in a clear format (US shooters can ignore the funny-looking targets). There's also Sam Conway's practice book, which is good, but suffers a bit from editing oversights.

All the books previously posted will give you some good drills to do. Matt Burkett has some good drills also.

Here is a link to a simple 3 target practice drill I've used a lot. As a beginner, you probably won't be able to get off all the shots in the time limit, but as you repeat the drill over time, you can keep track of your progress, and see areas that need improvement.

Another drill that helped me learn the difference in speed at different target distances was to set up 3 targets at 7, 25, and 15 yards (or some variation) and alter speed in order to shoot As. You can shoot this standing still or on the move. Then throw in barricades, ports, etc. to make things more interesting.

More danes, cool we can't be too many. Participate in as many matches of all levels as you can, it will show you what you need to train the most...the mental.. Pack Team uckFup in the car and drive to Göteborg on the 3rd of October, we'll be a lot of "danes" there.

The SK book you can find locally at Danish IPSC movie library

I've only had my license for 1½ year and for me the most important is not fancy drills of this and that kind but that the drill I do are recorded and analyzed afterwards and that you do them consistently. If you buy Steve's book you'll se that you can do a whole lot with 3 targets...and DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE.

Vi ses på banen.

More danes, cool we can't be too many. Participate in as many matches of all levels as you can, it will show you what you need to train the most...the mental.. Pack Team uckFup in the car and drive to Göteborg on the 3rd of October, we'll be a lot of "danes" there.

The SK book you can find locally at Danish IPSC movie library

I've only had my license for 1½ year and for me the most important is not fancy drills of this and that kind but that the drill I do are recorded and analyzed afterwards and that you do them consistently. If you buy Steve's book you'll se that you can do a whole lot with 3 targets...and DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE.

Vi ses på banen.

To alle of you: Thanks for the advice, I'm ordering books now. (Althoug when I took up IPSC, I never thought it would mean I'd spend more time on books :-)

Yep, more danes!

We're currently 10 active IPSC shooters here in Aalborg, and more are on the way.

Unfortunately for Team Uckfup our main priority this year is field target (due to a short financial crisis induced by the nescessity for IPSC gear and new guns), and we shoot field target (terræn) in our own backyard on the 2. and 3. of October, so Gothenburg is out - which is a damn shame, as it's so close by!

Next season things will be different, so look for the Uckfup T-shirt at matches (probably near hotdog stands)

Fast Fumble