Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on Youngs BCGs

9X23Guy

I'm ready to give up on my JP backorders. I can get Youngs NM and light weight BCGs. What are your experiences with them. I couldn't find if the bolts were MPI. All the description said was MILSPEC. That word is thrown around alot.

They are good to go. I'm waiting on a order to come in for one. One thing they don't stake their gas keys though. If you do stake them then they void your warranty. If you buy through rainier arms or somewhere they usually stake them. I researched them a lot and found VERY few negatives about them. The NM will most likely be right in your upper but it will smooth out when you shoot it.

I have a light and a super light, both bought direct from Young. One came staked, one didn't.

The fact that it's not staked doesn't bother me in the slightest, I kind of prefer it. I'd buy from them in a heartbeat.

I've shot a Young's for a couple years, and love it. To be honest, I don't know if mine is staked or not, don't really care, it freakin runs. Clean up is a snap. Just wipe it with a rag and the fouling just comes right off. No scrubbing and mess. Just takes a few seconds, and it looks like new. I have built my dream rifle, so I don't have anymore builds for the near future, but if I did, I'd go with youngs again as my first choice.

The way things are now just about any bolt carrier you can get is the best one. I need a couple and am on everyones notify list but by the time I get the message they are sold out. I guess thats the price I pay for still using the old flip phone.

AKJD, I got the notification you talking about too. JP carriers. I checked it 21 minutes after I got it, sold out so I called. Low mass gone in 3 minutes, full mass in 7. Youngs seem relatively available depending on what you want to pay.

I bought a super light Young BCG before all this madness. I put it in, set the syrac gas block adjustment, shot a little practice and went off to my first match. After a short range stage we went on to a long range stage and I switched ammo. The gun went single shot. I needed more gas. I opened it up after that and things smoothed out, but I did have another hickup. I think part of it was the ammo change, the gun getting dirty and to some extent a break-in. Totally my fault, but I still think they need a bit of a breakin before setting an adjustable gas block. And set it after the gun is dirty so it'll run in all conditions.

Like others have said, it cleans up great with a wipe of the towel. Oil it back up and good to go. Couldn't tell you if mine was staked or not, but I'm sure they torque them enough.

Ken

If you need it I have a lightly used JP in one of my rifles I'll loan you until you get one. I'm coming down this weekend to visit my daughter and will be at Birchwood for Sundays steel match. Let me know.

I had a lightweight in one rifle and then switched to a super light. I figured I'd have to turn the gas down some but it ended up being just the opposite, I had to give it a lot more gas to function.

AKJD, thanks man, I appreciate the offer. I should be good thanks to awesome forum members here. I'll have some JP stuff is enroute shortly. My upper will be very similar to what you've done. 18" Kreiger, JP low mass carrier and bolt, AP carbon tube, SJC brake. I might see you Sunday if I'm not being a girl. Steel Challenge at ten degrees is losing it's appeal.