Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on slide racker position

vash_241987

Alright, well I decided to get my XDm in to open division shape, buying parts and getting the slide lighten and repainted. Looking into a slide racker, I'm a lefty and I've notice in videos that some RH shooters have their slide racker on the right side. Personal Preference? Or is there something behind it?

Most right handed shooters have it in he left Side so they can sweep their hand back and rack it. I am a right handed shooter and I use a cheeley short racker on the right side as I run a 90 degree setback mount and a left racker would not work with the mount due to where the racker had to be installed. I don't see it as that much slower and would oh really matter on an unloaded start as my gun runs

I shoot right-handed, and have a Cheeley short racker on the right side. The benefit for me is that I can disassemble the gun without removing the slide racker. I really don't see a big advantage to having it on the left side. You get used to it on the right, and it ceases to be an issue.

Well I tend to disagree. Other than not having to remove it to dissasemble the pistol what other advantage is there for a right side racker for a right handed shooter? You lose the built in prop factor for a table start, ULSC is awkward at best and the pistol has to be rolled over to your left or youy have to reach over the pistol to get to the racker.

In a game where we strive to economize every movement I personally can not find any advantage to it.

Your mileage may vary

Mildot

Well I tend to disagree. Other than not having to remove it to dissasemble the pistol what other advantage is there for a right side racker for a right handed shooter? You lose the built in prop factor for a table start, ULSC is awkward at best and the pistol has to be rolled over to your left or youy have to reach over the pistol to get to the racker.

In a game where we strive to economize every movement I personally can not find any advantage to it.

Your mileage may vary

Mildot

The thumb rest I have on the left side of the gun props it up higher than a slide racker does, so a left-side racker for me is pointless. Rolling the gun over to reach the racker is minor IMO, and I can also see the ejection port when I do so, so I can see what the jam is.

If the racker will work on the left it should be on the left. (for a right handed shooter) Like mildot says there are too many reasons not to put it on the right. The racker makes a great kickstand for table starts and if you go with a ball detent it pops right off for disassembly. I use a SC sidewinder and also had Matt fit me an extended version. The gun almost stands straight up with that on the gun. :bow:

If the racker will work on the left it should be on the left. (for a right handed shooter)

Not everyone is the same Sarge. It should be on whatever site the shooter is most comfortable with.

Oh, and BTW - I had a ball detent with a left-side racker, and I hated it. The ball detent did not hold the racker securely.

Edited by Parallax3D

I was told by an M open shooter that a right handed shooter should have it on the right, then when using it there was no tendency for the gun to torque to the left. I followed his advice and it worked out fine for me. Hope this helps.

If the racker will work on the left it should be on the left. (for a right handed shooter)

Not everyone is the same Sarge. It should be on whatever site the shooter is most comfortable with.

Oh, and BTW - I had a ball detent with a left-side racker, and I hated it. The ball detent did not hold the racker securely.

Granted it should be on the side the shooter is comfortable with. But when a shooter does not even have one on the gun yet and asks where to put it my advice is still on the left. It is the most natural position. I have looked at a lot of Open guns and the numbers have to be something like 80-90% are on the weak hand side.

As for the detent falling out. It was not installed right if that was happening.

It it would have worked on my mount it would be in the left but I would have needed an extended sidewinder then grind alot off the top and it would have been close. When I shot a verticle mount it was on the left. Since I had o go right side I went with the short one. To me its not that big if a deal as it is rarely used

If you your pistol is running reliably and you are not running the magazine dry your use of the racker after the buzzer goes off should be minimal. I'm a rightie and mines on the right (because thats the way it came and I'm not at the point were I'm looking for every milli second) and I dont find it inconvenient. It should be easy enough to try it on both sides to see what works for you.

Your mileage may vary

Mildot

The thumb rest I have on the left side of the gun props it up higher than a slide racker does, so a left-side racker for me is pointless. Rolling the gun over to reach the racker is minor IMO, and I can also see the ejection port when I do so, so I can see what the jam is.

Well lets look at the unloaded table start for instance. Assuming a rightie will start with gun laying on its left side, the right hand goes for the grip and the left for the slide to raise the gun into the right hand. Once the grip is acheived the left goes for the mag and the right turns the gun so the magwell is facing towards the left hand bringing the mag to the gun. As soon as the mag is seated the gun starts torwards the target and the left hand is on the racker.

Now with the racker on the right you are either going to have to roll the gun over or reach over with your hand to cycle the gun then reverse the process to get your two handed grip. While as you stated the movement may be minor it still takes time and like the saying goes "time is money".

As to what feels more comfortable? I could care less. If it is proven to me that another method is FASTER, I will train that way until it is COMFORTABLE to me! I think(IMHO) that most shooters are striving to improve everytime they shoot. The only way to improve is to analyze what we are doing and take the steps to get better, if it means changing our methods so be it.

I'm still workin on it

Mildot

Well lets look at the unloaded table start for instance. Assuming a rightie will start with gun laying on its left side, the right hand goes for the grip and the left for the slide to raise the gun into the right hand. Once the grip is acheived the left goes for the mag and the right turns the gun so the magwell is facing towards the left hand bringing the mag to the gun. As soon as the mag is seated the gun starts torwards the target and the left hand is on the racker.

Now with the racker on the right you are either going to have to roll the gun over or reach over with your hand to cycle the gun then reverse the process to get your two handed grip. While as you stated the movement may be minor it still takes time and like the saying goes "time is money".

As to what feels more comfortable? I could care less. If it is proven to me that another method is FASTER, I will train that way until it is COMFORTABLE to me! I think(IMHO) that most shooters are striving to improve everytime they shoot. The only way to improve is to analyze what we are doing and take the steps to get better, if it means changing our methods so be it.

I'm still workin on it

Mildot

Practice makes perfect Mildot. With practice, the time difference is still minimal.

If you are really to the point where that extra 0.1 second is costing you a championship, then you're far above me and most shooters here.

How often are we doing standing unloaded starts where we have no movement before shooting.i went right as it allowed me to use the mount I wanted and not have to heavily modify a racker and or sight to do so put it on. It also adds the minimal amount of weight back to the slide as opposed to the long extended one on the left. With practice you aren't giving up much to the left side mount. My gun runs so its not much of an issue

Edited by EkuJustice