Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon 1-4 vs Meopta zd 1-4

usmc0326

So I am at the point where I am about to order an optic specifically for three gun. I have about a grand to play with. I would love to get a swart or sb but I just can't do that yet. I have come to the point where I am torn between the trijicon and the Meopta. The trijicon would be a slam dunk if it had some sort of vertical scaling / bdc. I want true 1:1 because i have been shooting so long with aimpoint/ eotech it was strange when I tried a 1.25 low power optic.

Looking to get feedback for each optic.

Thanks!

I have both the current gen and previous gen Meopta scopes and have been happy with both of them.

Not sure which version of the Trijicon you are looking at? If the one with the triangle on a post I could never get used to trying to hold over with it (I always seemed to lose the target behind the post.) Others though have used them with good success.

Not a contest. I sold my TR24 for the ZD and would do it again. Plenty bright, good reticle, forgiving eye box, compact size. One and a half seasons and tons of stages, I still really like mine and intend to keep using it.

What range are your local matches getting out to?

The Trij 1-4x with triangle is fast. Use with no worries out to 300y. Past that and you'll need to figure out how to reference holdovers as the reticule won't help you. The triangle is bright and easy to see. I think the glass is lacking though for the money.......not overly clear and bright and a bit distorted towards the edges. I was not impressed with the Triji overall, especially the run-out problem I had that meant sending the scope back to Trijicon for repair.

The Meopa ZD is nicer in that it has the extra chevrons to reference for holdovers. Doesn't help much with wind holds, but eh. The reticule is plenty bright and easy to pick up quickly also. I think the glass has better clarity and brightness than the TR24. I'd gladly take the Meopta over the Trijicon any day.

Edited by AustinWolv

I have used many of the trijicon optics in the ACOG and RMR etc, my main reason for asking was I haven't personally looked through a ZD, I have seen and used other competitive optics but I am wary of buying an optic sight un seen. I was hyped up about the Leupold three gun optic till I got a look through them and noticed the optical barreling. Looks like the ZD wins. I was leaning that way anyhow but wanted feedback from the community before pressing the trigger on the order.

My local matches are fairly short range. Winter we have been shooting in the bays out to 50, summer we will get out to 3-400 and I plan on doing some of the three gun nation matches in 2013 if my schedule allows. Which means I need to be able to engage any target on the pro series and have an optic that is durable enough.

The TR24 is an excellent optic and many feel that if they had ever gotten around to offering an Acog reticle, it would have dominated the multigun circuit. I felt the glass was very good with little edge distortion, forgiving eye box and good clarity, and who doesn't love bright fiber optic illumination. Had they offered the mildot, which they offer in thier other scopes, life would have been good, but instead Trijicon decided to go make a really expensive bow sight and offer up even more Acog reticles. My guess is that the profit margin is higher on the Acog and they don't want the TR24 to take over thier sales, but that would just be speculation on my part.

Sooooo...... Meopta ZD for the win. Mine has proven functional and durable. Mine is currently mounted on my LRP-07. I had it out a few weeks ago and was using it to pop a 12" plate at 600yds. I figured out a little trick with zeroing. Rather than zero the dot at 200 or 300yds and then take the chevrons where they lie, zero the first chevron at 400yds. That will put your 400, 500 and 600yd chevs spot on or very close (depending on balistics). Your center dot will end up being zero'd somewhere near 250. 250 is a really easy zero to work with, especially inside of 300yds. You then have easy sight pictures to remember. Also, the ZD reticle is in Strelok, so if you need a visual on a specific sight picture, you can easily get it.

75-200yds use the top of the dot

225-275 use the center of the dot

300-350 use the bottom of the dot

400 use the 1st chev

500 use the second chev

600 use the 3rd chev

Oh and just a plug for my local shop. 3gun stuff sells a very nice throw lever for the ZD. http://www.3gunstuff.com/?page_id=137

Edited by co-exprs

The TR24 is an excellent optic and many feel that if they had ever gotten around to offering an Acog reticle, it would have dominated the multigun circuit.

I think I remember talking to the Trijicon people about that back in 2003, I think it had to do with the design of the acog Reticle vs the etched reticles or something. Thanks for the throw lever assist, that was one of the things I needed to find since the normal vendor I use didn't have one for the Meopta.

TR24 zeroed @ 250 is good out to 350 using tip of triangle on top of target. Then use the turrret with 4 clicks up for 400. Beyond that the ZD wins hands down so for the money I would go for the Meopta. I'm lucky enough to have both TR24 and ZD so my choice is easier, which gun to bring :P