Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example I used a 3/8" 4 flute square end mill to cut the flat on the G19 slide for the RMR. My RPM was about 400-500 but I was only taking .005" per pass with a slow feed as well. This is because that slide is diamond hard. I really just listen to the mill and watch the chip load. It will get easier and once you hit the right formula write it down, rinse and repeat.

When I run Glock slides I use a 7/32 Carbide End Mill. 3 Flute ALTiN Coated

2526 RPM

4.182 Cut Feed

1.3 Plunge

.062 DOC

25% Stepover

Conventional Milling

Cuts smooth as butter.

Edited by LoganbillJ

For example I used a 3/8" 4 flute square end mill to cut the flat on the G19 slide for the RMR. My RPM was about 400-500 but I was only taking .005" per pass with a slow feed as well. This is because that slide is diamond hard. I really just listen to the mill and watch the chip load. It will get easier and once you hit the right formula write it down, rinse and repeat.

When I run Glock slides I use a 7/32 Carbide End Mill. 3 Flute ALTiN Coated

2526 RPM

4.182 Cut Feed

1.3 Plunge

.062 DOC

25% Stepover

Conventional Milling

Cuts smooth as butter.

That's great! Not sure what Mill you have but I can tell you mine won't do that.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Have you played with G-wizard much for feeds and speeds? I burned up quite a few end mills before I found it. I also found I was being too conservative and causing rubbing which wore out tooling quicker.

I am running tormach 1100s. Just run a small business making parts.

Edited by LoganbillJ

To be fair it was the first and only Glock slide I have cut to date so I really took my time to get the feel of the steel so to speak.

I completely understand that. Pucker factor is always high when you are cutting into a perfectly good gun for the first time. After that its not too bad. First one I machined my hand was hovering over the E-Stop the whole time.

If you ever do get the Mrs. to let you get a Tormach it will be a glorious day! I love mine.