Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For your machine something from this page would be good. In the 1.5" to 2" diameter range. And get the inserts for aluminum and steel - they are different. You can go R8 shank or do the straight 3/4" and use it like TTS.

http://www.shars.com/product_categories/view/807222333/45_Degree_Square_Shoulder_Face_SEHWSEHTSEHW

What makes your millhead a quick change like you have? Is your mill not a mini mill?

Just finished up fitting the comp and drilling the holes in the barrel. Man things went so smooth this time, last time I did holes I used a HSS twist drill and broke it off in the barrel. This time a solid carbide straight flute spot drill made it cake.

Pulled the flat out to the first section of the comp.

IMG_4212.jpg

Alignment reamed the Comp to the barrel bore.

IMG_4215.jpg

All pretty and done with two 3/16" holes.

IMG_4216.jpg

Video Soon

On it's way! Went with the 2" and the R8 arbor. I figured I go with the arbor in case I find other goodies to put on it.

I'll be interested in a report on how well that face mill works for you. My X2 with the stock motor doesn't have the horsepower to run a flycutter.. I always assumed a facemill would be just as demanding... your lms version of the x2 is a lot more powerful though.

What makes your millhead a quick change like you have? Is your mill not a mini mill?

My machine is not a Mini Mill, it's an RF45 type machine, which weights a touch over 1000 lbs. I built a pneumatic power draw bar in conjunction with the Tormach Tooling System (TTS). It allows for quick tool changes, but it's a bit prone to having tooling pull out of the spindle when doing heavy roughing.

For speeds I just try and run the tools in their operating window, Carbide likes higher SFM and small tools need more RPM in general. For small tools I could really use a MUCH faster spindle. That carbide drill was only running at 100 SFM at 3050 RPM.

That 1/2" 4 flute endmill with variable helix came from Maritool. Most of my cutters are from them. Both Maritool and Lakeshore Carbide are popular for high performance carbide at reasonable prices.

www.maritool.com

http://www.lakeshorecarbide.com/

Edited by jid2

If anybody on this thread is getting into this like I am G-Wizard, CNCcookbook.com, is having a sale. 15% off everything, I got a bundle deal with MeshCam, the Editor software and Calculator for $279. That's a pretty good deal considering that MeshCam is normally $250 on its own. Coupon code is "MAYDAY", good till the 20th. Just wanted to pass it along.

Kevin

Lol, been there done that. If she's over 40ft it's break out another ten thousand.

For what its worth I bought cubify invent for cad. I'm loving that for $49. The only thing I have to compare it to is Heeks and Sketchup, but I think it's awesome. It won't import anything and only exports in .stl, but it's parametric. Way cool program for the dough. I use Heeks if I need to convert an existing file to .stl for cam, but for making a model, Invent is super easy.

Forget the tutorials on the website. There's a guy on YouTube that did a full series, really easy to follow. Like 16 videos ,each about 10 min long. 2 week free trial, I bought it on the second day.

Kevin

I just started reading this post and what you have done.

I am impressed.

That is one big tool. What is the power rating of your spindle motor?

Depending on the manufacturer of your motor, you can run at 1.5x rated power for 5-10 minutes, but your drive may limit you time-wise.

I also recommend covering your ballscrews as chips and small detents can wreck them. Keep them well-lubricated.

Let me know if you have any questions about CNCs.

I'm an Electrical Engineer at Haas Automation. :D

Thanks!

It's a 500 Watt brushless and I did not realize that it may have a duty cycle. I have run it for hours at a time without issue as of yet but I did think that I might be replacing a motor sooner than later by doing so. :-)

I do need to cover the ball screws but I've been to caught up in making chips! The rubber accordion cover that came with the mill was interfering with the full travel of the y axis so I ditched them.

Haas! You guys make some dreamy stuff! I will, without a doubt, ask should I have a question. :cheers:

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Yes. All motors have a duty rating. Is your motor fan cooled? Forced-air cooled makes a world of difference and allows you to run the motor above rating as long as you do not exceed the winding temperature rating.

How does this apply to you? This means heavier cuts :)

No need to cool your axis motors since they rarely run at full load.

Yes. All motors have a duty rating. Is your motor fan cooled? Forced-air cooled makes a world of difference and allows you to run the motor above rating as long as you do not exceed the winding temperature rating.

Cool. And I do have a fan that I have pointing into the enclosure at the motor to help cool it. I use the touch method, if it is to hot to touch for more than a few seconds I shut'er down to cool off for a while but the fan does indeed make a world of difference.

Fan cooled really means a fan is attached to the shaft of the motor blowing directly on the windings. It's a character of the motor design itself - not something you can do or add.

What type of motor is on the Mini Mill and Super Mini Mill?

Cool. And I do have a fan that I have pointing into the enclosure at the motor to help cool it. I use the touch method, if it is to hot to touch for more than a few seconds I shut'er down to cool off for a while but the fan does indeed make a world of difference.

If you can't hold your hand on it it's at least 140deg. That's pretty conservative for a shutdown, but I'd do the same thing. Conservative is good.

Motors I deal with at work usually alarm at 175 and shutdown at 200. That being said we pull them if we see 160 or so. A good running motor bearing, with a fan on the shaft of the motor, is really happy between 100 and 130.

I've found these to be good parameters for 1/2 hp up to 400hp.

Just my .02.

Fan cooled really means a fan is attached to the shaft of the motor blowing directly on the windings. It's a character of the motor design itself - not something you can do or add.

What type of motor is on the Mini Mill and Super Mini Mill?

Understood but I am using an external fan pointing at the motor and it does cool it down at least by my highly scientific touch method. My motor is a 0.67 hp 500 watt brushless.

Edit: Oh! The Haas Mini Mill... LOL

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4144&category=

Edited by StraightUp_OG