Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new Hogue Power Speed Holster!

Rosshooting

Did they come out with a new version of that POS or is it the same old POS from a couple years ago? I had one for about 3 days and only 10 sec. in a match. They work ok with glocks but not with a regular gun. I just switched to the SSI/Guga Ribas holster. I've had Safariland, Limcat and played with a Ghost. The Guga blows them all away for quality, security and adjustment.

I have seen 4 guns go flying out of the holster; two were Hogues and two were Ghost holsters. Both of the Ghosts failed because the shooter was moving without the lock on after the beep. Both of the Hogues were guys who smacked their gun on the butt during the draw. All four got dq'd and the Hogue guys only spent half as much money to do it.

-ld

I think perhaps the Hogue is a bit misunderstood. I was initially skeptical but after using it found it to be a value. 1, they have to be carefully adjusted for your pistol (they fit glocks the best but will work with others). 2, having good contact with the very strong magnets is imperative. 3, there is no contact between the magnets and the slide as they are recessed into the material. 4, having the lock on will keep the pistol on your belt. I had a friend run into my glock and it moved but stayed in the holster. 5, using a heavy gun requires more magnets to hold the muzzle intact, perhaps double the number. They won't fit every possible pistol but for $90 they come close. After seeing pistols knocked and dropped out of a few other fancy holsters it occurs to me that the Power Speed is a good value, just doesn't look that expensive. But hey, it's just my opinion.

I had a powerspeed for a few months. It dropped my Beretta twice, the lock would not engage every time, requiring two hands to operate it. My brother also had it drop the gun on him. The magnets would not engage properly on the forward serations of the slide, the nose cap didn't fit the gun either. I turned it in at a government gun buyback for more than I paid for it and I bought a CR Speed instead.

Ken

So Flex,

Do you use the Hogue with the open glocks too? Doesn't the optic mount you use interfere with the magnets?

This really interests me since I'm very slowly acquiring the needed parts to turn my two sons G17's into open guns.

Let me know, plz

Cheers!

I used the Hogue with a Carver mount but I had to chop the top off of the magnet layer, making it flat like all the other layers, to get it to fit. Even after doing that I wasn't 100% happy with that setup, it was for my 12 year old daughter, so I made a kydex cover that wrapped around the bottom of the holster. The kydex made it look like a hybrid race/traditional holster and it acted to keep the gun secure in race mode.

-ld