Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK 45 or Sig 220

doulos

Looking to possibly get a non 1911 45acp. Living in the communist republic of NY it can not be high capacity. Was thinking about the Sig 220 or the Hk 45. I havent handled the HK 45 yet but have handled a USP. Id like to hear comments about these guns. I allready have a 1911.

My concerns are -----I have heard about spotty quality and reliabilty

on newer Sigs. Cant say I have seen it on my Sig XO which seems high quality to me for that price range.

I usually reload everything and shoot a lot of lead bullets from Dardas or Penn. Is this a no go with the HK?

thanks

HK's rip but you have to shoot one and it just has to "work". If they don't feel good to you they never will. The 220 is also awesome. I shot my first CDP match ever years ago with a borrowed one and took 1st. They're incredibly accurate and if you like 1911's you'll find a lot of similarity in the reloads especially. As far as the HK goes I carry mine almost daily. I prefer the USP Tactical 45 but the HK45 is an incredible gun. It's very comfortable and very accurate. Eat's any ammo without a hiccup.

If you have deep pockets there is a 220 version of the X-5 that is absolutely ridiculous. I'm pretty sure it can smoke most high end 1911's but I have no idea what divisions it's legal for. My Sig nut pal brought one out to the range last summer and I almost cried handing it back after the mag was empty. Beyond trick.

Whichever one you get if you decide to trick them out go straight to Bruce at Gray Guns. He is the man with the plan on both guns.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot both. Both are accurate and reliable. SIG has a better trigger and doesn't have that safety/decocker jamming into your thumb.

It needed to be higher and out of the way or lower so you could ride it like a 1911. HK is also larger. HK is more lefty friendly.

Both will outlast you.

Craig

With the HK female polygonal rifling, they tell you not to shoot lead in it if you call the US HQ. Look up BBI or Bayou Bullets, they have a moly coat over the lead which makes it safe to shoot out of stock HK barrels. I've talked with Chandler, owner of BBI, and he states that their rounds are able to be shot out of any female polygonal or traditional rifling barrel. You can also buy the moly coating from Bayou if you cast your own boolits.