Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling on Super 1050 with auto drive owners

So I've had a Super 1050 for about a year and have only used it to process some .223 cases. I have the electric trimmer on it along with the carbide sizing die. When working the press manually everything seems great, uniform trimming and nice primer pocket swaging. When I hook up the ponsness warren auto drive the cases get trimmed less and unevenly. But the real problem is that the primer pockets dont get enough swaging no matter how well I adjust the punch.

I made sure that the press cycles fully on both upstroke and downstroke. At least it appears to do so. I tightened the clutch on the auto drive as much as I could using a regular hex key. I am suspecting slippage but I am not sure.

How have you all set up your 1050 to successfully process .223s?

I have a bunch of spare arms that I bought when I was running mine..... :goof:

If you want to run rifle cases go to youtube, search for user CFORCHT, and look up my automated chain drive 1050 unit. That is what I processed 223 brass on when I was doing it. I don't have much good to say about the autodrive after fighting it for almost 2 years....

DougC

I made my own auto drive and noticed the same thing with the swaging. Trim length was fine. The swage backup rod adjustment is critical, and if you look close you can see the crankshaft is short stroking and not hitting the stop on the bottom of the stroke. The shellplate is all the way up but the swager needs the extra few degrees of rotation top fully cam over. On my press there was also alot of play in the key that links the 2 pieces of the crankshaft. I added some set screws to eliminate that and it seemed to help, but in the end i just set the swage rod a little higher and ended up with acceptable, but not perfectly swaged pockets.

If you want to sell the ponsness warren, PM me :)

So I've had a Super 1050 for about a year and have only used it to process some .223 cases. I have the electric trimmer on it along with the carbide sizing die. When working the press manually everything seems great, uniform trimming and nice primer pocket swaging. When I hook up the ponsness warren auto drive the cases get trimmed less and unevenly. But the real problem is that the primer pockets dont get enough swaging no matter how well I adjust the punch.

I made sure that the press cycles fully on both upstroke and downstroke. At least it appears to do so. I tightened the clutch on the auto drive as much as I could using a regular hex key. I am suspecting slippage but I am not sure.

How have you all set up your 1050 to successfully process .223s?

Before hooking up the PW, pull the handle down so that you're at the bottom stop. Make a mark on the side of the swage assembly, and a mark on the crank so that you know that's what the bottom stop should be, Then hook your PW back up and see if you're hitting the same stop.

In this pic, you can see where I made my mark on the swage assembly.

dillonswage.JPG