Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 Triggers - Aluminum or Nylon Polymer

surfmaster

I notice STI sells an aluminum shoe 2011 trigger. What are the advantages versus the regular nylon polymer triggers? Which version would be better to create a better, longer-lasting trigger job? Thanks.

Edited by surfmaster

I had a well respected gunsmith explain to me that he uses sti nylon or svi titanium triggers because they weigh less. Less weight means a lighter trigger pull can be achieved. I tested this and found that .4 ounces was the difference between hammer follow and consistency.

I had my 2011 apart doing a major cleaning and new grip install. I had a tool drop from the cabinet above (totally my fault) and land squarely on the plastic trigger turning it into five pieces. I now have an aluminum trigger. There might be a difference in trigger pull but I can't tell a difference.

:roflol: you know I have never heard of a drop test for a 2011. Wonder if a glock open gun would survive the same ordeal. Maybe they could turn it into a marketing thing..... regular glocks work in mud, open glocks work after you drop tools on them?

Hello: I just bought some of them from Shooters Connection. I have seen both the SVI and plastic trigger pads coming loose from the trigger bow. The SVI is lighter than the plastic STI trigger but I am faster with the heavier STI plastic trigger. I like the new aluminum STI trigger with it's trigger pad grooves. Hopefully it will make me faster and more accurate :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I buy teh STI gunsmith trigger and take it down to a short/flat configuration. I have small hands and short fingers and this works best for me. I have a couple of 1911's that had aluminum triggers with grooves and I removed the grooves. Smooth triggers seem to irritate my finger less on extended practice days.

I notice STI sells an aluminum shoe 2011 trigger. What are the advantages versus the regular nylon polymer triggers? Which version would be better to create a better, longer-lasting trigger job? Thanks.

The actual trigger has little to no impact on how long the trigger job will last. That's all a function of the hammer and sear, and how well they are fitted to each other.

If you want a really light trigger pull, the lighter the actual trigger is the better. Lighter weight means you can go lighter on the trigger pull without fear of trigger bouce causing hammer follow. The polymer STI triggers are ok, but if you really want a light trigger that will last, I suggest getting an SV Tri-Glide modular trigger with a titanium bow. The added benefit of the SV is that you can change the insert to be long, med, or short, and to be flat or curved.