Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Mag issue

44stevenson

I've got an M&P and last year in a match towards the end of the day as mags got a little dirtier, I would have issues with the mags not dropping out fast enough, especially when empty. Is there a better coating I could coat these with to reduce friction and make them faster. No one makes polishedmags for M&P so, some kind of coating could be a big help

Check the inside of the grip to make sure there are no burs stopping the mags from falling free. If there are use a little 600 grit to fix it BUT be careful. The gun is polymer and you shouldn't be doing this alot. Once the mags are clean they should be fine stock or polished. If they drop in the dirt, or worse, sand then take them apart between stages, this is common in competition. If after all of this they still give you problems check the exterior dimensions of the mags to see if something is out of spec. Could have been a case of someone accidentally stepping on one during a stage. If you need dimensions pm me and I'll take measurements from mine. These mags do not fit tight in the grip nor do they require any tuning. Hit me up if you're still having problems.

You may also try a different technique with your loading. I "flick" the mags out if my M&P on a reload. When I go for a mag I flick the one in the gun out to the right with my wrist as I eject it. I'm sure you could find some videos on this.

My buddy has a new M&P (Vtac model) and is having a lot of trouble getting his mags (also brand new barely used) to fall free. Even when the gun and mags are squeaky clean. I told him to just insert and remove the mags over and over and see if it would just wear down a little bit naturally. Break it all in, if you will. But still no improvement to speak of. These things are a little more than snug. He has to actually use his support hand to pull them out as he reaches for a reload. It's almost as thought something is a little out of spec. I have a basic full size m&p and have never had ANY similar problem, even when my gun was straight out of the box new. Nor have I heard of such from anybody else until now. I suggested to him what 9x23guy offered up. The mag well of the M&P has some ribs in there that run vertically and seem to create the tension. I think these could be filed/sanded down a little to alleviate the problem. I will report back with what we figure out with his over the weekend.

I had one occasion where the mag did not drop free (this weekend on a classifier of course) and I think it was from the heel of my hand touching the mag basepad during the attempt. If I shift my large hand so it touches the basepad I can reproduce this at will. The same mag drops free multiple times since then in testing while not touching the basepad. I am going to change that mags basepad over to a compact basepad as I have on all my other mags so it is less likely to touch my hand.

Eric

I have seen excessive flash from the molding process in side the grip cause magazines to "Stick" or not drop free. Make sure that there is not any extra plastic flash or ridges causing the magazine to be "Pinched" in the grip when the magazine is fully inserted.