Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Elite Limited FTF Issues

Aggieddad02

I have searched this forum for the last 4 hours trying to find some type of guidance and have not been successful. I have read plenty of posts with many responses including those of Chal-lee, Nealio and e-mishka and just cannot find an answer or a place to start looking to correct the problem. At a match today I took the Limited and some rounds previously loaded for my M&P with an OAL of 1.135. When I got the gun back from the gunsmith after installing Henning parts and doing some competition enhancements I took it to the range and ran 50 or 60 rounds of these through the gun with no issues. First stage ran but with some FTF's on the second stage I never made it past LAMR. Bullet would not seat in the chamber, it would start but never make it. Hung around awhile and talked to some of the other guys and came away thinking it was the OAL. Went to the local indoor range and bought a box of PMC ammo and the gun ran flawlessly with all 5 mags. I took a couple of the PMC rounds home with me to make caliper measurements. It appears the crimp is nearly identical but the OAL on these rounds is 1.123. Everything I have read tends to load longer than this and I am concerned about the pressure if I go lower. I am using 4.58gr of N320 and 180 gr Bayou Bullets. I have searched using "Limited OAL". "Limited FTF" and other similar terms with nothing pointing me to possible solutions. I am using Henning USPSA Megcar mags. I must admit that I have been shooting for going on 2 years and I am not that savy with the ins and outs of resolving these type of issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Walter

I think some tanfoglio's have issues with the chamber being slightly too short...although they all would run factory ammo easily. THe problem I have run into is with the bullet design. I have shot tons of reloaded ammo with Speer bullets, montana gold...Berrys .etc...and had no issues. I shot a plated bullet made by a certain manufacturer that has too high of an OGIVE,...ie: the shoulder is too wide. With that type of bullet, you may run into the issues you described.

Thanks guys for the replies and please keep them coming if you have any ideas. From everything I have been able to find using the Search function it appears that the rounds need to be loaded longer somewhere around the 1.180 to 1.20 range. So the next thing to do is to crank up the Dillon and start the process of finding the right OAL. PLEASE, if you have any insight please go ahead and post it. Thanks

Walter

if you are using the new mecgar K mags you cant load long....the gun will run them but the mags wont....they have a spacer in the back...1.130-1.133 is about as long as i have been able to load...are you using factory followers ?

littletoe, I don't know about the followers. I purchased the mags from Henning and they are the megcar bodies. Does the bullet shape come into play any? I am using a flatnose coated bullet. My son uses a round nose plated bullet out to 1.137.

Take your barrel out and drop one of your loaded rounds into the chamber and see if it will turn freely by hand or if it hits the lands. If it hits the lands you are loading to long. I don't think this is the problem though because I am using the new mec gar K40 mags with grams followers and henning base pads with a bullet oal of 1.135 with the same 180 grain bayou bullet with no problems. There is no need to load long with these new mags. That was only with the old henning competition mags that were 10mm.

Clean your chamber really well. I had something similar happen to my limited when I was using precision bullets. I had a build up of moly in the chamber and it wouldn't let the gun go into battery.

Edited by bamayne

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post and offer assistance. I went to the range today and loaded all 5 mags with 20 rounds each and proceeded to fire. With one mag I ran all 20 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger and not one single FTF. Two things I am thinking, first before the match on Saturday this gun only had 100 rounds down the tube and second I am not sure why but the when I took the gun apart it was extemely dirty more so than I normally see on my guns when I strip them down. I am not sure why the gun was so dirty same powder I have been running for over 2 years with no issue but I do believe that may have been a contributing factor although the gun was cleaned prior to the match. The other thing is the gun may need more rounds down the tube to break it in. So the quest for perfection continues but I am more comfortable with the current status of the gun.

Your failure to feed issue sounds more like a brass bulge issue. What are you doing to prep the brass and get it resized? If you are reloading "Glock" brass that is bulged then you WILL have feeding issues. You may need to invest in a Redding GRX push though resizing die to get all of the brass resized back to .420 diameter the whole way down the case.

Cha-Lee, I have been waiting for you to spread some knowledge on this topic and I appreciate you taking the time to do so. I currently use an EGW udie on my brass and since this is used brass I am sure I have some Glock brass in the inventory. Second where do I take the mag measurements at? Inside or outside the lips, at the middle or towards one end or the other? appreicate the advice.

Using the EGW U-Die will actually make feeding issues worse because it makes it harder for the brass to slide across one another due to the hour class shape of the brass. You want straight walled brass as that will ensure smooth slipping across one another as the rounds are picked up out of the magazine.

The only way to reshape the whole case back to .420 is to use a push through die. When you put a resizing die in a progressive press it gets most of the case but still leaves a non-resized portion on the base of the brass.

To measure the feed lips you measure the inside, starting at the back then slide it forward to the front edge of the feed lips. The same direction the round would go when it is fed out of the magazine as you shoot. The front edge of the feed lips need to be .390 - .395 wide

Edited by CHA-LEE