Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 STI malfunction video

codlinjr

When it fails and the hammer is back, is the trigger completely immobile or does it still have pre travel?

Not sure, happened in the middle of a stage so I didn't recognize.

The gun has just shy of 2000 rds through it and all the trigger parts are factory except for the actual trigger itself.

Um, another safety issue besides what has been mentioned here about fire control issues, you might want to work on getting your finger out of the trigger guard before you start your immediate action drill...sooner or later it's going to bite you with a DQ.

Um, another safety issue besides what has been mentioned here about fire control issues, you might want to work on getting your finger out of the trigger guard before you start your immediate action drill...sooner or later it's going to bite you with a DQ.

I dont get you ??? he pulls his finger off the trigger each time he racks the slide ...

thanks gino, very helpful reply and beneficial to the discussion. can i offer you some unsolicited free advice??

I watched the end of your video (the last failure when the hammer did not follow) several times. While the video is not crystal clear, I thought I could see a slight shadow around the left frame rail at the rear of the slide that seemed to not be there after you racked the slide. It also appears as you tip the pistol to begin your tap rack that you can see that the front of the slide is not flush with the front of the frame, which also seems to disappear after your rack. This would indicate that the pistol was not in battery, and would certainly cause the trigger sensation you experienced? As easy as the slide appears to rack, are you running very light on the recoil spring? Making matters worse, it looks like your thumbs could be dragging a bit on the slide (espeically when amped up under the timer). That type of failure might disappear with a couple more lb's on the recoil spring.

Good Luck!

Tom, that's an interesting observation, thank you for pointing it out. Although my recoil spring isn't too light (factory heavy recoil master), the ammo is reloaded which could possibly have been oversized slightly, causing it to not fully chamber all the way. I will keep an eye out for this type of malfunction again (hammer back) but I'm hoping it was an ammo issue and not a gun issue.

It was slipping out of place periodically...

I don't understand what you mean by this, can you elaborate?

I will have to look at it in the morning to figure out which leg of the spring it was, but it would wedge the sear back so that it wouldn't completely reset... This would result in the hammer following periodically and other times the trigger not resetting... I ended up replacing it and retuning the new one to take care of it...

I dont get you ??? he pulls his finger off the trigger each time he racks the slide ...

It was in the slow motion video where he's engaging the three poppers.

thanks gino, very helpful reply and beneficial to the discussion. can i offer you some unsolicited free advice??

I'm sorry if you took offense as none was intended but I offered it only from sad experience. I can see in your first video that your hammer is following the slide down, which points to, as others have said, that your hammer-sear-disconnector-trigger-gripframe relationships have to be tweaked. What I would not like to have happen is for your problem to escalate, especially with hammer follow into your pistol going full auto. A friend and fellow club member had this happen to him and he landed in the hospital because he, like you, also racked his slide in the overhand manner and badly injured the fingers on that hand when the gun emptied the magazine.