Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 or XD for Bianchi Cup Matches

tkill12

I plan to start shooting local bianchi cup matches at my local range this year. I am trying to decide which of my current guns I should shoot. I have a full size 1911 .45 or a Springfield XD9 Service Model (not xdm). I reload both calibers, so ammo cost is not a big variable.

The things I am thinking are:

obviously better trigger (has a trigger job and bomar style adjustable sights)

slower .45 bullets are at a disadvantage on the mover

.45 has more recoil

XD

shorter sight radius

9 mm less recoil and faster bullets (for mover)

trigger not as good

would need to install adjustable sights

Use the XD. 9mm bullets are cheaper. Don't worry about non adjustable sights. Just be sure to know where to aim at all the distances.

It will take a little while to get used to the time limits so I wouldn't fret too much about equipment now. After the bug has bit you, then get a 1911 in a smaller caliber. If you have a 22 pistol, use that. Cheap and fun.

Hey Tom...a lot of folks are saying that they are planning on shooting .22's this year and if you have one it wouldn't be a bad way to go. Still not sure what I am going to shoot...might go the .22 route as well. Given your choices I would shoot the XD due to it being a 9MM. Either way it will be good to see you back out there. :cheers:

I plan to start shooting local bianchi cup matches at my local range this year. I am trying to decide which of my current guns I should shoot. I have a full size 1911 .45 or a Springfield XD9 Service Model (not xdm). I reload both calibers, so ammo cost is not a big variable.

The things I am thinking are:

obviously better trigger (has a trigger job and bomar style adjustable sights)

slower .45 bullets are at a disadvantage on the mover

.45 has more recoil

XD

shorter sight radius

9 mm less recoil and faster bullets (for mover)

trigger not as good

would need to install adjustable sights

You live in the right place if you are thinking about shooting Bianchi. I know there are matches in Springfield but don't forget about the monthly matches in Columbia and Kansas City. Outdoor matches start in March, bring your stuff and try it out. Personally I would go with the XD and shoot Production. It's a good way to start and if you are thinking about shooting the Cup, they are putting a lot of money into Production to grow the sport.

http://pioneergunclub.org/

http://www.gvshoot.c...hp?/page/gvhome

Edited by toothguy

Posted Today, 03:54 PM

snapback.pngKoppi, on 18 January 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

Check out the rules so you don't get bitten.

How would this happen?

Kevin,

I think he means which division he will land in.

It may be just me but it's pretty much cut and dried. 1911 in Metallic and XD in Production unless the aftermarket sights do not fit the factory dovetail.

He's not talking about shooting Bianchi or any other regisered match so who would really care? Just have fun with it.

Edited by Action Pistolero

You can get lighter bullets for the .45, clear down to SWC's in the 150 range (lead though). And the low PF .45 recoil is different, some like it, some don't.

I'd go with which one you shoot best or have the most components for.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think i will give the xd a try and see how it goes.

Even if your not going to shoot the Cup, come and watch. If you come early, go to the practice range and hang out. If you can, come to the Pioneer matches. It's worth the drive, it's a great range with good equipment. The Pioneer shooters, myself included, will help you in anyway they can.