Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light primer strikes with 9mm springfield 1911

wooddog

My SA 9mm 1911is having light primer hits. I am getting some misfires and the primers of the fired rounds have primers that look like they have pimples for primer strikes.

I have had some work done to the trigger and the leaf spring changed. Main spring, may have been clipped but not sure. The hammer does not have that nice, smacking sound when dry firing.

I shot the same reloads with my hi powwr yesterday,wondering if perhaps I had not properly seated the primers, but it had no misfires and all primer hits were dimpled perfectly.

If it still has the original firing pin it is most likely made of titanium. The lighter titanium pin does not hit as hard as a steel pin. Also be aware that Springfield uses an odd size for their firing pins.

Edited by rln

You didn't say which brand of primer. Federal takes the lightest strike with Winchester coming in second. CCI and some others take a harder strike. Might order a few mainsprings from the 1911 store in 15, 17, 18 to see which works out the best. I would also replace the spring plunger and pin as the locking system is in the mainspring in a Springfield. Clipping springs is a thing of the past, replace them with new lighter springs then you know how the gun is tuned if you want to make other adjustments.

Check the depth of the primer should be .004 to .006 deep.