Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AWB sunset affect the price of S_I mags?

chp5

chp, just my .02. I would bet they would stay the same. Not may STI or SV's out there to warrant price drop since they are specialized pistols. Brownells plus others had replacement bodies for a long time and I believe folks that wanted 170-140 MM mags got them there and when ban sun setted or old mag body had to be replaced because of damage beyond repair had base pads and spring and follower kits already to go ;)

Maybe, if we are lucky, they might sell the complete mag for the same price as the replacement tube. STI lists a 140mm magazine for $60 for LEO and export. Hopefully they will make these available for the general public. If they do, SVI will hopefully follow in thier path.

Apparently Bob Longdrigan is the only one in the entire competitive shooting world with enough good sense to be prepared for the end of the ban. It would seem that nobody else in the industry did jack sh*t. I know who will be preferentially getting my money instead of the rest of the jerkweeds we can't seem to count on.

For an industry that was so drastically affected by the ban, the total lack of commitment in the post-ban era is pretty depressing. Maybe they're waiting until after nationals to do something...who knows. Probably not.

I weep for the future of USPSA.

For an industry that was so drastically affected by the ban, the total lack of commitment in the post-ban era is pretty depressing.

AMEN.

Watching the news today, you would have thought that Uzi's and Mac-10's were being given away for free to anyone ready to go on a crime spree. For sh*ts sake, you still have to pony up $900 for a new AR. I'm almost as pissed off about the reaction to the sunset as I was about the ban itself.

Apparently Bob Longdrigan is the only one in the entire competitive shooting world with enough good sense to be prepared for the end of the ban.  It would seem that nobody else in the industry did jack sh*t.  I know who will be preferentially getting my money instead of the rest of the jerkweeds we can't seem to count on.

For an industry that was so drastically affected by the ban, the total lack of commitment in the post-ban era is pretty depressing.  Maybe they're waiting until after nationals to do something...who knows.  Probably not.

What exactly are you suggesting that USPSA do? (that is a serious question - please answer)

Simply removing LTD10 division and the production 10 round limit will cause a set of problems unrelated to any ban:

1. There will be no home for a 10 round 1911 to compete effectively (so we can't tell people with single stacks that all they need to do is buy a few Wilson or CMC 10 round mags)

2. All the Production shooters using Glock 23's, Glock 19's, Berettas, Sigmas, Sigs, Tuarus or other guns with a magazine capacity less than the 17 provuded by a Glock 17 will be SOL as their gun is now "non-competetive"

3. We will no longer be able to tell someone with a production gun taking less than 17 rounds that they have equipment which would be fully competetive in one of the divisions we offer.

So, I am not convinced there is "something for USPSA to do" here. What am I missing?

I do think that it would be a good idea for the USPSA board to stake out a formal position on this matter at the January 2005 board meeting so that people don't have to guess if we are about to make a change in response to the sunset.

Rob,

You're misreading me. I have not, nor I have I ever (that I can recall) supported re-combobulating the divisions. I have not requested that USPSA do ANYTHING. I'm talking about industry, not Sedro-Wooley.

My position is that if the sport is going to survive, the standard-capacity magazine issue needs to be solved. That gets solved by manufacturers (a) making the damned things and vendors selling them. If no new magazine supplies develop, Limited and Open are deader than doornails. Sooner or later we will be in the same position with AR mags. (I would dearly love to sell AR mags, but if there's a US wholesale source for them, nobody's talking. I've called every single manufacturer and all of them have the same mantra: "No US sales except to Govt. and LE.")

I have have proposed my solution on another thread....to deafening silence. I shall not repeat it here.

If another action shooting vendor has stepped up to the plate like Bob Londrigan, I shall gladly sing their praises. So far, Brazos is the ONLY vendor that has approached the post-AWB world with a plan.

Rob

I have a suggestion.. USPSA. needs to grow a couple of gonads

and stand up for USPSA not give in to the IPSC council.. and they

need to show more support for the Gun owners, not just sit back and wait.

FWIW, Both Brazos and Dawson are selling baskets of magazines at Nationals. Bob's got his four-super-tuned-for-$400 deal going (plus some untuned ones I didn't get the details on), and Dawson is selling untuned mags with Dawson pads at 3/$180.

A "pre-ban" Glock mag price from $59.95 (Sunday) to $39.95 (Tuesday) and is probably still on the table..

Apparently Bob Longdrigan is the only one in the entire competitive shooting world with enough good sense to be prepared for the end of the ban. It would seem that nobody else in the industry did jack sh*t. I know who will be preferentially getting my money instead of the rest of the jerkweeds we can't seem to count on.

For an industry that was so drastically affected by the ban, the total lack of commitment in the post-ban era is pretty depressing. Maybe they're waiting until after nationals to do something...who knows. Probably not.

Eric,

I hear you loud and clear man, and I couldn't agree more. Kudos to Brazos and Dawson for actually having some vision. I also hardily agree with your suggestion in the aforementioned "other thread".

www.thegunsource.com has glock mags for $26 each.

I hate to tell you, but that's a total ripoff. I paid $16 and they are brand new. There's a lot of shameless profiteering right now. Companies that sold LEO mags for $17 prior to the ban, promptly jacked up the price yesterday. It may be capitalism, but it seems pretty anti-American to me.

Give me a week and I'll talk to the owner of the place I bought them from and see if he'd like some business. (He's out of town right now.)