Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time for first Optic

mbrody

Well, the Bushnell works and I am happy with it so far. This is my first time out with my new rifle. Had help from a RO to dial the dot in, he gave me some pointers, then shot 20 rounds of PMC 55gr at 50yds. Will see how it holds up at my first shoot in March, where I hope to also see what other people are using at my local range. Thanks to everyone who chimed in...

post-38825-0-74039100-1361820905_thumb.j

I just put a Burris MTAC on my 3G (which is a great scope) but if you're shooting is mostly <50yards I lean towards the EO Tech XPS-0 with 1MOA dot. Can't beat it for close targets and you can still hit a pepper popper at 100 yards.

With practice 300m targets are NO problem with holo's or open sights... I do prefer my ACOG 4x32 though! I am in the process of switching over to a 1-4 so I can ditch the 45* irons though. I am looking hard at the MTAC an just saw one in the classifieds go for cheap.

• 4 weeks later...

I just put a Burris MTAC on my 3G (which is a great scope) but if you're shooting is mostly <50yards I lean towards the EO Tech XPS-0 with 1MOA dot. Can't beat it for close targets and you can still hit a pepper popper at 100 yards.

With practice 300m targets are NO problem with holo's or open sights... I do prefer my ACOG 4x32 though! I am in the process of switching over to a 1-4 so I can ditch the 45* irons though. I am looking hard at the MTAC an just saw one in the classifieds go for cheap.

You need to clarify that response a bit. If the targets are large and visible sure 300 yards with irons or a red dot is not much of a problem. But the smaller the target gets the harder it is to see and the more of a problem you will have with 1x optics. Not saying it can't be done but it is a problem for most folks. A good quality optic almost feels like cheating when you first use one.

You need to clarify that response a bit. If the targets are large and visible sure 300 yards with irons or a red dot is not much of a problem. But the smaller the target gets the harder it is to see and the more of a problem you will have with 1x optics. Not saying it can't be done but it is a problem for most folks. A good quality optic almost feels like cheating when you first use one.

+1 I've seen some amazing shooters who handle iron sights like a mere mortal handles a scope, so this is no knock to the poster because he could well be one of those. Young 20/20 eyes go along way, and I can't claim either of those anymore.

Having acknowledged that, in my world it's one thing to put rounds on paper at 300 yards with irons and another thing to put the rounds in the A zone. I can say from my (limited) experience at that range with irons that I can hit an IPSC target without too much problem at 300 yards using iron sights, but really all I'm doing is throwing pills downrange and popping a high-five when the paper is checked, and I've landed something in the D zone or better. I pretty much always hit paper and with an miraculously consistent group to boot, but it sure isn't with any kind of placement that I can honestly label as "accuracy". In fact, with irons my front sight looks bigger than the 300 yard target, and that's with a match post.

Can't say that I've shot an electronic 1x any farther than 100yds but I'm guessing it's a lot easier to go 300 with a dot than irons.

You are right, the small targets can be a PITA with irons, all I am saying is that it's possible.. And I certainly am not the super human shooter but I feel comfortable with irons on a silhouette at 300. Putting them in the "a's" is quite a bit tougher!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got another Eotech,...the shorter cr123 model with two dots and the big circle. I have a 3 year old 552 model with NVG button that is shorting some how...draining batteries overnight.SUpposed to send it back for repair. I think the flood I had cause water to sit on the scope for a while....?

I find the circle is good for everything under 30 and fast. Tighter shots I pause and use the centre shot. The lower dot is for longer distances....I think basically 300...

Also, just bought a barely used Burris Mtac30. I looked a lot and the reviews were good. I plan to either use back up irons, or a secondary red dot off set to the right. Walmart or similiar stores have tasco and bushnell at a reasonable price. I have a tasco from 1992 on my .22. It only needed the a new spring inside the battery compartment to work. The 50mm or 30mm unit may be my next purchase. The Vortex strike fire looks like a very good alternative to the Aimpoint.

I am going to put the Eotech and back up magpul sights on my 10.5", and the scope and back up red dot on my sti Competition model.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

Also, just bought a barely used Burris Mtac30. I looked a lot and the reviews were good. I plan to either use back up irons, or a secondary red dot off set to the right. Walmart or similiar stores have tasco and bushnell at a reasonable price. I have a tasco from 1992 on my .22. It only needed the a new spring inside the battery compartment to work. The 50mm or 30mm unit may be my next purchase. The Vortex strike fire looks like a very good alternative to the Aimpoint.

With the 1x on the bottom, there is NO reason to use backup irons and a red dot on the side puts you in open. 5+ years ago, when 1-4s cost what 1-6s do now, the side irons were a good choice. Now, they will just slow you down. If you are in open, a 1.5-6 or 2-7 with a side red dot is a good option, but side irons really won't do anything but slow you down and add weight to your rifle.

For the match format the OP describes, I would recommend an Aimpoint PRO with 2MOA dot. It is very fast inside 100M on IPSC Metrics, and with good eyes can make hits on man-size targets out to 500M+. Under most 3-Gun match rules, the Aimpoint fits in the Tactical Limited division rather than the overcrowded Tactical Scope division (get through the prize table faster). The Micro is good too, but the smaller FOV makes it a tad slower for me, and it offers no real advantages for our game.

For a .22LR upper, an inexpensive Aimpoint clone is available from Primary Arms for under $90 with mount. This would save having to rezero after each upper swap.

Edited by StealthyBlagga