Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore Stage Numbers

wgnoyes

In practiscore, when you tap on "enter scores", you get a list of stages from which to pick. I know they are in stage number order (at least they seem to be), but it would be nice on both ios and android to display the stage number as well as the stage name. Such as "1. My Stage Name", "2. My Classifier Stage", etc. Like I said, this would be nice, which also means its a low priority request. Thanks.

If you setup the stages in EzWinScore with specific names then convert the database to work with Practiscore, then import the match into the device, all of the stage names are listed as you input them into EzWinScore.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Pratiscore puts stage names in order of creation...at least on my Nooks.

I use "Bay 1 <Stage 1 Name>", Bay 2 <Stage 2 Name>", without quotes and <> as my naming convention...that way score keeps get-r-right when entering scores no matter what the order is.

For classifiers I use "Bay 5 <CM##><NAME> " but when I take it into EZWinsocre and update the stage to a classifier, then EZWin changes it to whatever it likes.

Edited by Mark R

I don't think I can do that as far as the classifier(s) go. I'm registering through shootnscoreit and ezwinscore, then using Chris Wren's ezws2ps utility to create the ps match file to distribute to the devices. Upon bringing them back in, I've found if I try to change anything in a stage description (I believe including name), ezws wants to whack all of the entered scores for that stage. So I need to leave the stage name alone I think.

• 4 weeks later...

We just ran our first Nook scored match. We named the stages One XXX, Two XXX etc. except for the classifier. That we just used the classifier name for. Not likely that it would get confused with a real stage. Anyway, since the demise of scenarios, stage names really have very little meaning.

I don't think I can do that as far as the classifier(s) go. I'm registering through shootnscoreit and ezwinscore, then using Chris Wren's ezws2ps utility to create the ps match file to distribute to the devices. Upon bringing them back in, I've found if I try to change anything in a stage description (I believe including name), ezws wants to whack all of the entered scores for that stage. So I need to leave the stage name alone I think.

Bill...I'm not sure it matters...when you bring data back fro practiscore into Ezwinscore, you first import the stages, then you have to edit the classifier and tell ezwinscore it's a classifier before you import scores. It changes the name to what EZwinscore wants and my scores have imported just fine.

I don't import the stages. I pre-register people in shootnsccoreit and define the stages there. Night before the match, I export to ezws and run that through Chris Wren's post-processor (http://tinymicros.com/ssi2ezws/) and then import THAT (including squadding) into a new empty (no stages defined) ezws file on my netbook. Then I change the classifier and tweak anything else I need. Day of the match, I carry the netbook to the range and register and squad any walkups directly into ezws on the netbook. (EZWS's drag-and-drop squadding is far and away superior to anything else available, which is why I use it at the range for walkups). After close of registration, I use Chris' excellent EZW2PS utility to create a ready-to-use .psc match file and bring that into the master iOS, then distribute from there to the nooks. Hand 'em out, everyone goes to shoot; I pull scores all day long.

Match end, all the nooks come back in and are synched to the master iOS, and then from there back into ezws. Register and key in any additional classifier reshoots (we do NOT enter those into the nooks!) and there it is.

I'd still like to have stage #'s display in the list of selectable stages, and I wouldn't think it's asking all THAT much, but we get by. The devices are labeled 1-n on the outside and the internal name matches the external labeling, and they are distributed to their respective stages and STAY THERE. So when I'm pulling scores and look and see device 1 out there, I know I'm pulling stage 1 scores.

I don't import the stages. I pre-register people in shootnsccoreit and define the stages there. Night before the match, I export to ezws and run that through Chris Wren's post-processor (http://tinymicros.com/ssi2ezws/) and then import THAT (including squadding) into a new empty (no stages defined) ezws file on my netbook. Then I change the classifier and tweak anything else I need. Day of the match, I carry the netbook to the range and register and squad any walkups directly into ezws on the netbook. (EZWS's drag-and-drop squadding is far and away superior to anything else available, which is why I use it at the range for walkups). After close of registration, I use Chris' excellent EZW2PS utility to create a ready-to-use .psc match file and bring that into the master iOS, then distribute from there to the nooks. Hand 'em out, everyone goes to shoot; I pull scores all day long.

Match end, all the nooks come back in and are synched to the master iOS, and then from there back into ezws. Register and key in any additional classifier reshoots (we do NOT enter those into the nooks!) and there it is.

I'd still like to have stage #'s display in the list of selectable stages, and I wouldn't think it's asking all THAT much, but we get by. The devices are labeled 1-n on the outside and the internal name matches the external labeling, and they are distributed to their respective stages and STAY THERE. So when I'm pulling scores and look and see device 1 out there, I know I'm pulling stage 1 scores.

Man that's a lot of steps. I feel for ya.

I create a match on the master Nook, add stages (naming them "Bay1 - name", etc.) on the Nook. I receive Excel/CSV files from my web site registration program, copy/paste them to a single file during the week leading up to a match. Connect Nook to PC using usb cable, copy REG.CSV file to Nook, then use Nook/Practiscore to import registration. Add any walk-ons manually during registration period. Go Shoot match and sync back scores to master at any time.

Post match I export match, registration, and scores to PC using Practiscore's App Exporter. Import stages, rename/tell EZWin the classifier, import registration and stage scores,update classifications, and go to results. Fewer steps and same results.

Mark,

Any chance you could say thait in english?

Sorry Jim, but I reread it and it makes sense to me...but I did leave out a few a's and and's here and there.

Maybe this will work for you...

1. I create a match on the master Nook,

2. add stages (naming them "Bay1 - name", etc.) on the Nook.

3. I receive Excel/CSV files from my web site registration program, copy/paste them to a single file during the week leading up to a match.

4. Connect Nook to PC using usb cable and copy REG.CSV file to Nook,

5. use Nook/Practiscore to import registration.

6. Add any walk-ons manually during registration period.

7. Go Shoot match and sync back scores to master at any time.

Post match

1. I export match, registration, and scores to PC using Practiscore's App Exporter.

2. Import stages,

3. rename/tell EZWin the classifier number,

4. import registration and stage scores,

5. update classifications, and

6. go to results.

Fewer steps and same results. :cheers:

...Man that's a lot of steps. I feel for ya.

Don't feel for us; we think it works quite well and the procedure is in use at Cherokee, Riverbend, and South River, and also for last year's and this year's state match.

As I said, we keep EZWS in the loop because its drag-and-drop squadding system leaves everything else in the dust for fast, efficient walkup registration. (More than half of our competitors register in advance in shootnscoreit.com.) We use an iOS device as the master because it's simpler to transfer from ezws to iOS and then distribute to the nooks. Direct registering into a nook is a complete non-starter, too slow, too hard to enter/find names, just not a good experience and it keeps people waiting. If I were going to register into ps directly, again it would be into an iOS device (probably iPad) because with those I can connect a bluetooth keyboard instead of "typing" on a screen.

Edited by wgnoyes

• 1 month later...

I hope I'm in the correct forum for this question. We used nooks for the first time in February at ESPS. I've also been the stats guy. (but not for long) Absolutely love these things! We had results printed before the last props were put away. Had one problem I need help with. Everything went as planned untill I got home. When I tried to pull the classifier report to send to USPSA, there was no classifier info. The stage and scores were there, but EZWS did not recognize it as a classifer. We selected the correct classifier and description on the nook, but EZWS didn't see it as such. I ended up deleting the stage, selecting the classifer and plugging in the classifier scores manually.

Where did I go wrong?

Real big + 1000 on using os / iPad to register people.

We just did our board training last match and will kicking the Nooks out in April but I have been playing with them non-stop and Nook registration takes twice as long as my iPad.

Thanks for all the help Bill.

Don't feel for us; we think it works quite well and the procedure is in use at Cherokee, Riverbend, and South River, and also for last year's and this year's state match.

Bill,

When you used the Nooks for the state matches (Level 2?) what type of "receipt" did you give to each shooter showing his scores and hit factor on each stage?

Thanks,

BC

We did the usual "fortune cookie"-type slip of paper last year. That actually slowed down scoring, and competitors were leaving before getting them, thinking they weren't supposed to wait for it. Electronic or not, major match competitors are used to 5.5x8 2-part ncr paper scoresheets, and that's what we'll be using this year. The sheet is a 1-for-1 duplicate of the score summary screen on the nook in the same order, so that the stats officer simply has to pattern-copy the numbers from the screen to the sheet. We keep the top copy, the competitor gets the bottom.

practiscore lvl2-3 stage summary scoresheet.pptx.zip

practiscore lvl2-3 stage summary scoresheet.pptx.pdf