Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Primer System - how to 'prime' it?

Hello,

So I just ran through 500 rounds of 40 S&W on my new 650. Just love it.

What I cannot figure out is how to advance the primers when you start to load from a dry primer assembly.

What I have been doing is just running shell through while the primer system advances to a point that there is a primer in the right spot. Is there some trick to being able to advance the primers manually?

On the other side of the priming is when the buzzer goes off. I have not yet counted but is there typically a certain number of primers left in the system when it sounds so I can just count rounds until the system is dry?

Lastly, the little chute that catches the good primers is nice, but I find the primers sliding out of the shoot. I just took a piece of tape and wrapped it around the end of the chute to make the walls taller, is there a mod to do this a better way?

Thanks for helping a noobe (just new to Dillon, not reloading) out,

Mike

Drop primers in tube. Insert follower. Small shiny lever looking thingy on front left of primer assy, click it 6 times. This will advance the primer disc 6 clicks. Turn on case feeder and pull the handle. When the round gets to the priming station there will be a primer waiting.

When nearing the end of a session watch for the primer follower to be about an inch or so from making contact with the buzzer lever. Turn off case feeder. Cases should run out at about the same time as the primers. Just keep pulling the handle until you feel that a primer did not seat. That tells you they are all gone. You should be real close to being out of cases as well. With practice you can hit it pretty close.

I wrapped tape around the end of my ski jump as well. This is one of those little "fixes" that I can't understand why Dillon won't do.

Re- priming the primers-- I move the handle mid way. I then operate the primer wheel advance bar with my finger until a primer shows up. That's also how I clear it once the tube is almost empty. I'll run 6 more after the buzzer goes off, then manually advance the remainder. There are a few threads about the primer ski jump fixes. Some do what you have done. Others affix a tube leading to a container. Others affix a small bottle underneath or at the end to catch 'em.

You don't have to move the handle very far to get the disc to turn. Just move it enough for the primer assy to clear the shell plate.

On my press, when the buzzer goes off, I have 14 primers left in the system.

Yep, pull handle just a little, push silver bar to advance dial. With a case in station one, I push the lever 6 times, when I size then advance, the primer is there. At the end, when my alarm goes off, I have 11 primers left.

For the primer chute, you can jury-rig something on your own, or go with a plug and play solution: http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1346

Yep, pull handle just a little, push silver bar to advance dial. With a case in station one, I push the lever 6 times, when I size then advance, the primer is there. At the end, when my alarm goes off, I have 11 primers left.

For the primer chute, you can jury-rig something on your own, or go with a plug and play solution: http://www.uniquetek...6/product/T1346

What he said!!! The Uniquetek fix works great. I also advance 6 times and at the end have 11 left over.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks All!!!

Just got my toolheads back from a friend that installed the HeliCoils in them and gave me a floating die set up for my rifle.

I already bought the Uniquetek spent primer assembly, the only down side was that my stock screws holding the stock metal plate were not long enough for the new plastic piece but a quick trip to HomeDepot solved that. Maybe Dillon changed the screws as I had not heard of needing new screws and none were supplied in the kit.

Can't wait to get back out to the press,

Mike

+1

Drop primers in tube. Insert follower. Small shiny lever looking thingy on front left of primer assy, click it 6 times. This will advance the primer disc 6 clicks. Turn on case feeder and pull the handle. When the round gets to the priming station there will be a primer waiting.

When nearing the end of a session watch for the primer follower to be about an inch or so from making contact with the buzzer lever. Turn off case feeder. Cases should run out at about the same time as the primers. Just keep pulling the handle until you feel that a primer did not seat. That tells you they are all gone. You should be real close to being out of cases as well. With practice you can hit it pretty close.

I wrapped tape around the end of my ski jump as well. This is one of those little "fixes" that I can't understand why Dillon won't do.

I don't cycle the primers. I do size and de-prime the cases and then pull them at primer location. I set these aside for the occasional time when I have a hiccup and need an unprimed case to put in primer station. Prime them and keep going. I am new to the 650 so maybe the need for these will be less in the future, but like to have some unprimed brass on the bench.