Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will I blast my C-More?

chp5

So here's my goof-around Open gun (no laughter please).

Question: will the gas from the barrel ports blast my C-More?

When I move the C-More further away from the muzzle, the brass occasionally hits it and causes jams.

Thanks for your thoughts.

openglock1.jpg

I would expect the standard fall-out on the lens. It will be like having a hybrid barrel with a Serendipty (my set-up) and you need to wipe the lens every couple of stages.

If Mr. Mad Scientest is around, he may be able to help you with getting a better ejection pattern so you could move the c-more to a more conventional rear position.

The kidd blast blockers are like $35, a lot better than having your c-more-re-lensed or re-bodied by c-more themselves..

The kidd might get chewed by bullet frags if you have bullet hits in the comp or damaged ports in a hybrid, but it is cheaper to replace than a whole cmore

I think your C-more will get zapped pretty good.  I also have a hard time accepting that those ports are going to offer any benefit?  Let me kow if they do.  (I think I'd get the saws-all out and do some cutting if they didn't.   ;))

I will likely shoot it this weekend and I'll let you know if the ports have any effect.

I do have a 2.5" .357 mag that has factory barrel ports similar to my Glock. Those port seem to be relatively effective, but the gas effect from a 2.5" .357 is higher.

BTW - never shoot a 2.5" .357 mag with ports from the retention position! Don't ask me how I know. :wacko:

I have the same set up on a 35, I put a KKm comped barrel on it and it blasted my C-more pretty good. What I did, is have a Machinest drill and tap holes so you can slide the scope and the plate that it sits on back. to prevent the shells from getting jammed under the scope, you will have to lower the ejection port. i use mine for open and it runs great. the extra weight from the carver mount and the comped barrel really makes it shoot flat. Have had guy's that shoot S_I open guns say it's just as good as theirs. I can't post a pic, but send me your E-mail and I can send you some.

Good luck

I have the same set up on a 35, I put a KKm comped barrel on it and it blasted my C-more pretty good. What I did, is have a Machinest drill and tap holes so you can slide the scope and the plate that it sits on back. to prevent the shells from getting jammed under the scope, you will have to lower the ejection port. i use mine for open and it runs great. the extra weight from the carver mount and the comped barrel really makes it shoot flat. Have had guy's that shoot S_I open guns say it's just as good as theirs. I can't post a pic, but send me your E-mail and I can send you some.

Good luck

dbglock35 - thanks! Email to you in bound.

BTW - did you damage your cmore from the blast?

Here is a thread that shows my Open Glock, a G34 with a KKM barrel and Comp (in 9mm).

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=5567&hl=glock

I reversed the C-more on the weaver mount to get it back from the muzzle/blast. Even at this distance, it still get dirty...though not too bad.

My mount is an AimTech (not the tiger shark). It is a bit highier than some. I don't have problems with brass clearing. In fact, it will even run Winchester 115's from wally-world (read: not much energy to fling them out of the ejection port).

I am running SP2 (I still have most of a jug left), so I think I have plenty of gas to "work the comp". I won't say it is very flat. In fact, I'll probably add some ports to it if I even think about shooting it seriously. But, I think I can keep up with those in my class with it.

Flex,

If your Cmore get dirty that far from the comp, then I think mine will get blasted.

Your mount is higher than mine. I noticed you had a rear sight on your slide. A rear sight won't fit under my mount.

I am currently able to mount the Cmore further to the rear, but then brass hits it and causes jams. I think the answer is to either: (1) lower the ejection port, or (2) get a Kidd blast shield (which aren't in stock anywhere right now).

This all may be irrelevant if the ports don't do anything - in which case I'll just stick a stock 22 or 35 barrel in it and suck it up.

Thanks for your imput.

can you get the blast blockers directly from Kidd?

I couldn't find a web site. Shooter Connection, Speed Shooters and Brownells were all out of stock.

The Brownell's guys told me that Kidd is in the process of moving his shop, so the shields are on back order.

just shoot and see how bad it gets, its not much trouble to wipe off the c-more

before you shoot the stage. i have a shorty open gun with barrel holes and it gets dirty but wipes clean, so i wipe it during load and make ready.

I think you should just shoot it too. The C-more on my 38 super takes a beating from the hybrid ports from a commander length barrel and I just wipe it off after every stage. I don't believe the blast from your .40 will be anywhere near the blast that a 38 super makes.

I think you should just shoot it too. The C-more on my 38 super takes a beating from the hybrid ports from a commander length barrel and I just wipe it off after every stage. I don't believe the blast from your .40 will be anywhere near the blast that a 38 super makes.

Cool - I just didn't want to do anything stupid and have to repair my Cmore immediatley after shooting the gun.