Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cz-85 competition

nick romero

Comp Hammer, 17rd Mec Gar mags, 13lb main spring (cut a couple coils from the FP spring or install an extended FP if necessary), 11lb recoil spring and maybe break the bottom edge of the mag well part of the frame with a file.

P.S. Or just send it to EERW and have him give it the works.

Edited by blind bat

I shot an 85 combat all last season with Cajun Gun Works hammer and sear, 13 lb hammer spring, 12 lb recoil spring, front sight from CZ Custom, and CZ Custom's thin AL grips wrapped completely in grip tape. I liked it alot and plan on sending it for the short reset kit. When I was able to use the 11.5 lb recoil spring I liked it even better, but for some reason I stopped getting good ignition.

Someone told me that putting some flare on that magwell was not legal (even though there is flare on the magwell area of the Shadow.)

If the short reset trigger is awesome I'll probably shoot it again this year.

I've shot my CZ 85 Combat in Production over the years and it is my favorite pistol of any caliber. It's extremely reliable and fairly accurate after almost 10,000 rounds. It has the fiber-optic front site that the LGS installed and a competition hammer and action job by CZ custom whose work is superb. The reset on the single action trigger is a bit long, but the break is crisp and light.

The plastic grips were too small for me (I have quite large hands) so I use the Hogue rubber finger groove grips which a factory option when I ordered the pistol and are Production lega.

The barrel gets a bit messy after shooting 50 or so hard cast lead bullets. I attribute this to the relatively fast rate of twist.

I don't think you can go wrong by buying this pistol.

Chris

I love mine; I didn't really choose the 85b over the 75b, I just sort of found it on the cheap at a local gunsmith's shop. The only thing I would change is to have gotten a 85 Combat instead of an 85B, but I can get the Combat trigger and install it myself anyway. I replaced the firing pin with one from Cajun Gun Works that has a shallower firing pin block channel and put in the softer firing pin block spring that came with it and I can't even tell the FPB is there. They're pretty simple to work on, the only thing I've had the gunsmith do is install the sights since I don't have anything stronger than a clamp-on vice and the factory sights are very... thoroughly installed to say the least.

They're also good looking guns!

ffNn3l.jpg

YI7Qbl.jpg

kgF91l.jpg

I'm shooting a 75b. Lighter springs, better trigger, and better sights are all it needs to be a better competition gun. You can do that stuff yourself with parts from cajungunworks or czcustom. You can do one thing at a time if your budget is limited.

I just bought a new 75b (.40) and had it shipped straight to cajungunworks to turn it into a serious production/L10 competition gun. I learned a lot and had alot of fun working on it myself, but now that I know what I want, it makes sense to me to git 'er done right from the start.

There's lots of good guns out there, but cz's fit my hand perfectly, look pretty, and give me a lot of pleasure to shoot.

Edited by motosapiens

I have used an 85 C with the CZ competion sights, thin aluminum grips, and 13 lb mainspring/11lb. recoil spring for years. I have used it in both IPSC Production and IDPA in SSP and ESP. I have tried the Shadow twice now and keep coming back to the 85 C. The Shadow feels sluggish to me in transitions. Also, I went back to a plain black front sight, as the FO front sights did not work for my aging eyes.