Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

drilling/tapping frame for *thumb rest [generic]*/thumbrest

cpa5oh

I've got a Witness Match in .40 setup for Limited division shooting. As I understand it, thumb rests/gas pedals are now legal in the Limited division, so if possible, I'd like to get one on my Match. Anybody ever drill and tap a frame to accept a thumb rest or optic mount? Is it something that can done by an amateur/home gunsmith can do? I don't shoot Limited much, so the purpose of this gun is to be a relatively competitive budget gun...sending it off to a gunsmith doesn't fit with the budget nature of this gun.

You have more guts than I do. No way I would start drilling on my gun out in the garage. Those little holes need to be perfectly spaced.

Yikes

At least go price a local smith if he has the proper equipment.

I guess I was thinking that adding a thumb rest maybe wouldn't be the kind of thing that would have to be done with extreme precision (like fitting a barrel or doing a 1911 trigger job would.) and I was figuring come spring everyone would have a thumb rest of their Limited gun...

The problem with adding the thumbrest will be determining the exact location you want it in. I ended up moving mine after initially installing it. But I had 5 holes to work with. You will most likely not get it perfect without needing a few extra holes.

It's certainly possible to mount a thumb rest with a hand drill and a tap, it would just be very hard to get it straight and looking professionally installed. There is zero room for error in the spacing of the holes, so if the bit walks on you by a few thousandths of an inch, you'll have to turn the holes in the mount into slots to give you a little play. The biggest thing I would worry about without a drill press is drilling the holes (and tapping them) exactly perpendicular to the frame, if they're crooked the head of the screw won't bear the impulse of the recoil as designed and could come loose/bend/break. Of course I have no first hand experience with crooked tapped thumb rest screws and I talking out of my ass, the job looking like crap might be your only risk.

Personally, I'm going to try it out on a $400 Tanfoglio before I drill into my $1,000 CZ.

Edited by kneelingatlas

For those that have not done it, drilling and tapping an EAA/Tanfoglio frame IS NOT for the faint at heart. Trust me, send it to a smith who regularly works on these OR be an expert at annealing and a mill. These frames are much harder than your typical 1911/2011 frame.

Jim Anglin (Sailors Custom), Rich Det. (Canyon Creek) are two that come to mind.

Good luck

I'll buy the *thumb rest [generic]* and then price the work at a local gunsmith and then at one of the sources you mentioned...if I'm looking at hundreds of dollars, I may just move into a Tanfoglio Limited, which I think already has the holes drilled, and just use this Match as a backup for when I shoot Limited.

How much did I pay for it? I never figured it out...$550 for the gun, $100 for the sights, couple of bucks for springs, $125 for the magwell, $165 for an open holster that works with it grind the polymer grips flat and put grip tape on it free...so I've got about $940 in it plus 3 21 round mags that are reloadable (and they really work well - thanks Henning!) Had I gone with the Limited, I'd have been in $100 for sights, $1,000 for the gun, $120 for the magwell, and $200 for a holster...so I'd have been in $1,420...the savings going with the Match are only about $450 I guess...and that gap narrows now that I have to pay a gunsmith to drill the frame for a *thumb rest [generic]*.

oh, to add a little more clarity to the frame hardness. Drilling the holes in a drill press/vise is doable but dicey(keeping drill bit well lubed and slow speed), it's tapping the holes that is about impossible by hand. When I tried to tap mine, I broke off about 1/2 dozen taps or more, going VERY slow and careful as well.

good luck

I've drilled and tapped a few triggers on my drill press and yes, they were hard; slow and easy with plenty of lube, just like the first time... er, um, nevermind!

The tapping went easy as I just chuck up the tap in the drill press, lower it down and turn in by hand, backing it out and clearing the hole a few times per revolution (when you try to cut too many threads without backing it out, you break taps); that way the thread is on exactly the same angle as the hole. Threading oil is a specific product which should be used here.

• 1 month later...

Success!!! I drilled and tapped my Tactical Sport for a thumb rest and/or C-more mount last night on my drill press with great results. Getting the holes started is the hardest part, you need the smallest HHS drill bit you can chuck up, then work your way up 1-2 bit sizes until you get the 3.5mm hole you need for a M4X0.7 tap. Patience and cutting oil are critical, even the best bits will be trash by the time you get to the last hole. I still need to sand and touch up the black on the thumb rest where I cut it, but here are the pictures:

IMG_20130202_202046_973_zps789fd1e6.jpg

IMG_20130203_105055_321_zps021119c9.jpg

My 'el cheapo' $20 airsoft thumb rest:

IMG_20130203_105037_994_zpsfb547a65.jpg

Drill too fast/not enough oil:

IMG_20130202_212444_767_zps299bd8dd.jpg

Edited by kneelingatlas

It looks good. I said above I was going to try it out on my beater Tanfo before drilling into my CZ, but I just could not get a hole started in the frame, Glk21C has right about the hardness.

I called all around town to find someone to do it for me to no avail, so I went straight after the CZ. Very nerve racking...

Ah, moderators may have an issue with your post......

From Forum guidelines page:

Advertising

The general forums are not for any advertising whatsoever.

Please do not advertise products or services for yourself or for others in your posts or your Signature, either with text, links, Avatars or images.

However, a non-linked, single line of text in your Signature stating "Team ______" is permitted.

"Group Buys" are not permitted on Brian's Forums. And WTB (Want To Buy) Posts are only permitted in the Classified Forums.

Any sort of advertising in Posts or Signatures will be removed by a Moderator, then the Member will be notified with a PM.

I'm sorry for the bluntness of this - we are making every effort to be fair to our paying Forum Dealers.

I'm not sure I understand, NoSteel: I know the forum doesn't want spam, but a direct solution to a forum member's question is not allowed? So I'm not permitted to help out at all with any product, even "for other*" manufactures (such as a link or image for the *thumb rest [generic]* Thumb Rest?). How are we suppose to help each other?

*...do not advertise products or services for yourself or for others in your posts...

I don't disagree.... Just posted the forum policy as it is written as it may be considered advertisement.. Not my call, just was making you aware if you were not of this guideline... Apologize if it appeared I was dictating policy, not my intent..

That look's pretty cool Droopy, unfortunately I don't have any pistols with rails, but if I decide to make an Open gun out of an SP01, I might just pick one up!

Hi KneelingAtlas;

No, the Speed Ledge products are not for Open guns. Other thumb rests cover that field quite nicely. The SL is a thumb rest for tactical, Limited*, and Limited 10 use. Most Open guns, except for perhaps the Lone Wolf Open Glocks, have no need of the SL, and certainly not on a basic SP01. But as to a Limited SP01 Shadow, that's a different story.

-Will

* Thumb rest restrictions removed as per USPSA BOD in-person meeting minutes of 12/02/11, and went into effect 1/1/13 with new Limited & Limited 10 appendix D2 and D3 created.

11cz75sp01shadowworldch.jpg