Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major with 115s?

shooter995

I have heard that 115s at Major PF shoot flatter then 124s in 9 Mjaor. I would like to hear your experiences with this topic if you have any! Gun is a 5" STI, also if you have any new load data I'm open to it. I did get some load data from another local shooter, 7.6grns of Auto Comp, MG 115 JHP @ 1.160. I did load some up & try them, but it was indoors & couldn't chrono them. I could tell a difference from my typical load (7.2 of AC MG 124JHP @ 1.170).

My biggest concern is keeping accuracy, my 124s shoot extremely good groups at 20yrds. Iv heard the groups open up with 115s?? Any & all info/advise is appreciated!

"...my 124s shoot extremely good groups at 20yrds. Iv heard the groups open up with 115s??"

I know you are asking about 9mm major, but in .38 super I have not experienced this. I've found 115gr MG JHP major load give me the same group sizes as 124gr MG HP loads. They are both very accurate bullets.

I settled on 121's with 7.3 WAC at 1.167 or so. I have thought about trying some 115's but my load is accurate and shoots pretty flat from what I can tell, what others can tell, etc. There is a good bit of info around here that seems to me, indicates WAC is not ideal with 115's. Looks like HS6 might be preferred?

One thing to consider is 9MAJOR is already limited in powder choice due to case capacity. This is why a lot of guys shoot 124's. It keeps the powder charge down.

That being said WAC looks to leave plenty of room for enough to run 115's.

Let me know what you find out. I may grab a thousand of them to try when my 121's start to run low.

I have heard that 115s at Major PF shoot flatter then 124s in 9 Mjaor.

My biggest concern is keeping accuracy, my 124s shoot extremely good groups at 20yrds. Iv heard the groups open up with 115s?? Any & all info/advise is appreciated!

Well the math is pretty clear a faster bullet will be further down range than a slow one as it falls "x" distance. So the faster 115 (given we are loaded to the same PF) will have a flatter trajectory than the slower 124.

That being said trajectory is in no way the final word on accuracy.

I have tried dozens of loads in my FGW full size open gun. I settled on 9.1gr of HS6 under a MG 115 JHP at 1.165 with a Fed SR primer. This gave me a little over 1500fps with a Schuemann 5.4 barrel and no popple holes. Also, 10.5gr of AA#7 gave the same power factor and shot even flatter , but was a pain to load.

I moved to 115's exclusively for 9 major. The gun shoots flat and It's almost like cheating :) I run either MG or Zero with 8.6-8.7 grains of Silhouette at 1.155 OAL or 8.9 grains of HS-6 at the same OAL. Accuracy is excellent with either bullet or powder combination, 1.3" to 1.5" groups at 25 yards.

I've just started shooting 9 major, but I stuck with a 115 gr bullet, as I tried 124s when shooting .38 Super and to me they did not shoot as flat as the 115s.

115 gr MG JHP

8.6 gr Silhouette

1.160" OAL

I can easily make power factor with 8.0 gr, but found that 8.4-8.6 works the comp better.

I've tried MG 121s, Zero 125 JHPs and MG 115 JHPs. The 115s were definitely softer-shooting. As soon as I tried them, I knew there would be no going back... more powder = more gas = taking more advantage of the comp.

I currently use Vectan SP2 - when I run out of that I'll either go back to Silhouette, or try HS-6.

In terms of accuracy, the MG 121s were absolutely amazing... like 1.5" at 50yds. But the 125s and 115 were also very good.

Lot of factors come to mind (your gun setup is the big factor). I moved to 115 in 9 major. I used to shoot 38sc with popple holes and SV IMM BIG barrel ports and the 115s shoot as soft as my 38SC guns. 115 loads make major easily (no barrel ports)

Silhouette or HS6 for me.

Glad to hear I'm not crazy thinking about so it! Thanks for the info guys.

I will more then likely be switching to 115s as soon as my 124s are gone, I'll be using Autocomp tho. It's cheap, clean, meters great & it's always available!!! I'll keep you updated.

Edited by shooter995

• 7 months later...

Thought I would bump this thread! I made the switch to 115's with HS6, 8.8grns with MG 115grn JHP @1.160 makes 171-172 all day. I do like it a lot better, gun is faster for sure. Not waiting on the dot. I was getting some dot dipping, was running an 8lb recoil spring. Switched to a 7lb, definitely helped, not gone but way more predictable.

Anyone else venture into this?? If so what were your results??

I tried some MG 115 JHP when I had trouble finding 124s. They DID seem to shoot flatter, (more gas working the comp), but I prefer the 124s. The way reloading supplies are right now, I'll shoot whatever I can get my hands on!

• 2 weeks later...

Been shooting the MG-115's for about a year in my stock Grandmaster. Find them flatter and slightly

more accurate than the MG-124's I was using(1.5 vs 2.0 inches @ 25 yds). PF=170 with the following load :

8.7 gr True Blue

1.170 OAL

Range brass

Fed SPP

I also believe the increased slide velocity(in recoil) has cured my 1/100 failure to eject problem.

( I am running a 7 lb recoil/15 lb main springs in a 12.6 oz. slide )

Ray