Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Hobbit

bierman

Overall, great movie. The first 10 minutes or so kinda annoyed me, but I knew they were going to tie this movie into the first trilogy, so I got over it. They did follow the book generally, with many line straight from the book, and the movie had the same feel as the first three, with many of the same style wide angle, spectacular New Zealand landscape shots. WAY more CGI characters in this one. Almost all the orcs and goblins appear to be CG instead of guys in rubber masks and costumes. Good fight scenes and lots of funny moments throughout. I enjoyed Martin Freeman as Bilbo and the troop of dwarves is a bunch of bearded (mostly) bad asses.

If you are a fan of LOTR, you will most likely enjoy this movie.

Many of the "professional" reviewers have given the movie poor reviews. Almost all have said that the production company really dropped the ball trying to make 3 movies out of a 100 page novel. That even with the addition of the authors notes and comments there simply wasn't enough material and the movie suffered from the script writers trying to stretch things.

Typically if the professionals pan a movie, I love it, so we will see tonight!

From what I have read, only the first two movies are really based on The Hobbit. The third movie is suppoosed to more of what happened in between The Hobbit and LOTR, so it could potentially suck big time. BTW, The Hobbit is actually 300+ pages.

I don't usually care what the professional reviewers think of a movie. My main criteria is "Was I entertained?" I have been a Hobbit/LOTR geek since the late 70's and I am a huge fan of the LOTR movies, so I may be a bit biased. I'm not saying it was a perfect movie, and I doubt it will get any Oscar nods, but my family and I enjoyed it and will be there for the next one.

We saw the 3D version last night, Overall very entertaining, Good mix of humor and drama.

I thought the 3D was done pretty well, and our theater had some new Real3D glasses that seemed to work better.

Even my skeptic 20yo Daughter enjoyed it (hard to get someone to go to a 3hr movie that is not a big fan)

I may try to see it again in IMAX. It will be interesting to see how they layout the next two films.

I enjoyed it. The first 30 minutes or so was extremely slow. I'm a big fan of the books and movies too. Dorky enough to watch all the extended cut versions. I saw it in the HFR (high frame rate) 3d. This is the one where its at 48 frames/second vs 24/sec. Visually very cool and lots of depth and detail. I thought it was neat to see and experience once, but I thought it took away some of the "cinema" feel

Slow, slow, slow.

+1. Damn near fell asleep a few times. I guess the screenplay writers knew where they wanted to begin and end this chapter, then decided to make it almost 3 hrs long. So after they put all the meat in it, they discovered they needed 60 minutes of filler sprinkled in.

We saw the 3D version last night, Overall very entertaining, Good mix of humor and drama.

I thought the 3D was done pretty well, and our theater had some new Real3D glasses that seemed to work better.

Even my skeptic 20yo Daughter enjoyed it (hard to get someone to go to a 3hr movie that is not a big fan)

I may try to see it again in IMAX. It will be interesting to see how they layout the next two films.

Yeah we saw the IMAX 3D version Sunday night, and thought it was spectacular. The 3D effects were amazing! I didn't think I was going to like it, but there were many times when I felt like I could reach right out and touch a piece of the movie! Even the previews were in 3D and were pretty amazing! There was a preview for the new Star Trek movie, and it felt like you were right there in the fire & burning lava with Spock!

But as for the length / speed of The Hobbit, I enjoyed it. Much like I enjoy how I get to spend all day shooting USPSA with my friends when a local match takes a little longer than normal, I enjoyed the extra bit of the movie. Except for the Brown Wizard, the Nature / Animal lover? Very very weird! LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I went to see The Hobbit last night and have a slightly mixed review. First off, I enjoyed the movie and appreciate much of the "new" material that was added. And I don't think that anyone who liked the books will dislike the movie. Now, for the rest...

We have a new IMAX theater near me so I decided to see this in IMAX 3D. When I got to the theater, I found out that the projector wasn't working but that there was a regular 3D (an oxymoron if there every was one) version in about 30 min, so I killed the time and that's what I saw.

I had seen a couple 3D movies before and just didn't find that there was anything that special about them. With The Hobbit, it was clear that this was not going to be the case. Right from the beginning, there were some really impressive scenes, but with time it became more clear that the things that looked the most special were largely CGI. When it came to scenes with actors, I was still left with the feeling that I was looking at a 1950's 3D View Master with it's three planes of view. None-the-less, there were some scenes (like those involving Golum) that were startlingly realistic.

The action scenes were another story. The battle in Goblin Town was an incredible amount of action and, for me at least, the 3D effect made it almost unwatchable. My eyes could simply not focus on that much different movement and the whole thing became this massive blur. I'm actually looking forward to watching this again, at home, on a normal TV.

On the the added material... With the exception of the additional material involving Azog (the white orc), most of it seems to be in line with the book(s) since it is loosely based on the Appendices from LoTR and possibly some from The Silmarillion as well. But I have to say that the pursuit by Azog bothers me to some degree - I just think it's too much. On the other hand, it may be a way to clear up a bit of a continuity issue in the book regarding the war of five armies - we'll have to wait on that to see if I am correct in my assumptions. This also clarifies in my mind how they are going to bring in the background story of the rise of Sauron. Something that could well have been made into a book of it's own.

The biggest question I am left with is this - is there going to be any attempt to bring The Silmarillion to the screen. To fully realize that book would be a career in itself and would likely take 5-6 movies. But with CGI getting as good as it is, it might be possible to do the entire thing on a sound stage with virtual sets.

Yeah we saw the IMAX 3D version Sunday night, and thought it was spectacular. The 3D effects were amazing! I didn't think I was going to like it, but there were many times when I felt like I could reach right out and touch a piece of the movie! Even the previews were in 3D and were pretty amazing! There was a preview for the new Star Trek movie, and it felt like you were right there in the fire & burning lava with Spock!

But as for the length / speed of The Hobbit, I enjoyed it. Much like I enjoy how I get to spend all day shooting USPSA with my friends when a local match takes a little longer than normal, I enjoyed the extra bit of the movie. Except for the Brown Wizard, the Nature / Animal lover? Very very weird! LOL

It's interesting to see how popular culture is influenced by movies, music ect. I'm curious if the bird crap in the Brown Wizards hair will have an affect on the spring hair styles. It's already that way at Berkeley, but that was before the movie :)

Edited by toothguy