Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Die questions

tedtulare

Just getting back into reloading after many years. Have an old RCBS press with many dies (RCBS & Lee mostly) Some rifle and some pistol, 2, 3, &

4 die sets. Bought a 550-B and understand you can use the same dies "if true". I realize it takes a "caliber conversion" for them. Is there any literature or video on how to use these dies in the 550-B?

Setting up the dies is pretty straight forward. As for caliber conversions, I recommend calling Brian directly and letting him know what you have and what you want to load. He will steer you in the right direction with caliber conversions etc. He will never, ever sell you something you don't need.

It was my understanding that the Lee dies aren't typically long enough to have the set nuts on top. Someone suggested putting them on the bottom instead.

New caliber conversion kits are the cheapest here on this site (http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.conv.550.html) There is a really, really good caliber conversion kit guide here: http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon/cal.conv.chart.html It shows you what parts are shared between your calibers so you don't have to spend full price on each caliber with overlapping parts.

There are quite a number of very good youtube videos on using the 550B. Here are some:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your response. My confusion is with the 2nd die that bells the case and has the powder die/dump tube. These are designed in the Dillon Dies but not the RCBS, Lee, and others (I think). Do you have to buy a single Dillon die for this stage and if not, how do you make it work in the other dies?

Thanks for your response. My confusion is with the 2nd die that bells the case and has the powder die/dump tube. These are designed in the Dillon Dies but not the RCBS, Lee, and others (I think). Do you have to buy a single Dillon die for this stage and if not, how do you make it work in the other dies?

Super easy on the 550B. After sizing/depriming/priming in station 1, move the case to station 2. Raise the ram and case. Begin screwing in the (standard universal, less than $20) dillon powder die with the correct size insert until it begins to bell the case.(it tells which insert is used in the manual, and the insert comes with the caliber conversion. Also keep in mind that the powder dispenser has to be in place). Two things are happening....The case pushes up on the insert which raises the powder dispenser and drops the powder....AND...the case gets belled.

WHEW!!! That took at least 7.8 times as much energy to explain it than it does to actually do it.

Seriously, it's easy. I typically use RCBS carbide dies. I've run probably 15-20,000 rounds through my press in at least 8 different pistol calibers and I DON'T OWN A SET OF DILLON DIES. I know, I know, I'm probably missing out, but the RCBS dies work for me.

The dies are set up the exact same way in the Dillon as in other presses, just at stations 1 and 3 or 1, 3, and 4, depending on what you want to do and when.

J

Brian; is there a reloading shop in California where I can take all of my dies too that can set me up with powder dies and caliber conversions for my 550B? Or, I can send you pictures and descriptions of what I have and you can sell me what I need (if you are interested in doing that). Thanks.

You will need to get a powder measure die: http://www.dillonpre...llon_Powder_Die

13863_20064_xl_650_toolhead_powder_die_m.jpg

Ignore the 650 toolhead in the picture, that's just what they had for picture on Dillon's website.

When you get your caliber conversion kit, your powder funnel will go inside of the die. You will not use the powder die from your old sets. As other have said, double check the compatibility chart and you might be able to save yourself a few $$.

Good luck.

~mtuck

Edited by mtuck