Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition snub nose

ChrisC

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a .500 S&W 'snubby' shot in a IDPA BUG stage with full-power 440 grain loads. It was impressive! It was photographed, although I don't have the pic. But, the muzzle flame... monster ball... was about three by two feet. The first target was three yards away and it was blown completely off the target stakes and wound up about about six yards down range.

I don't remember his score, but I do remember the squad opining that... with the .500 S&W... ANY hit on the target should be a Down 0 :cheers:

alaskan454-0441.jpg

I would really love to have one of these. Stronger frame than the smith and the 454 is more versatile.

I have been shooting an Alaskan (.454/.45 Colt) in USPSA & IDPA competition since 2007 or so. I shoot "hot" .45 Colt loads to make major power factor, which with only a 2.5" barrel takes a little work. If things work out I'll be shooting it at the USPSA Revolver Nationals.

Some years back (when they were still allowed to own handguns), the Brits had a long-range match for snubbies and the gamesmen went wild. They started with large frame revolvers like the Colt New Service, fabbed elaborate target sights onto them that extended rearward about 2" beyond the end of the top strap and whittled large free-pistol grips for them. Surely there are photos floating around but I can't find them. Interesting gear!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Lets get back on track and serious again.

We have a BUG Division in our Club's Defensive Pistol Match.

Revolver: Smith & Wesson Model 10, 13, 15, 64, or 65 with 2" barrel in Very Good mechanical condition.

Holster: Open top Pancake with the trigger covered such as a Lobo Model 1 Pancake.

Speed Loaders: Safariland Comp III's or K Frame Jet Loaders. Since you only need a pair, it might not be a bad plan to spring for the Jet Loaders. They are a little high, but should be the better loader of the two. I have a pair of J Frame Jet Loaders, and I am pretty impressed with them. I also have 20 Comp III. 10 are K and 10 L Frames. The Comp III's are great, but the Jet Loaders may be a little better.

Kydex Speed Loader Pouch's: I prefer Big Creek which I happen to make.

Ammunition: 158 Round Nose Bullets (If you reload use between 4 and 5 grains of Unique with Federal Primers.) If you have any reactive Steel go with 5.0 grains of Unique.

Revolver work: Chamfered Chambers, Wolfe Ribbed Hammer Spring (You might get both the Full power and Reduced power to try out. You are going for 100% ignition. A Wolfe 13 Pound Rebound Spring. Hogue Rubber Grips are not a bad choice at all for a Square Butt. I have Pachmary Compac Professionels on my 2" Model 10 round butt. Make sure your speed loaders clear the grips as well as the cylinder release.

Get some Green Sight Brite sight paint. You will want to paint approximately the top 1/2 of the front sight blade. Check the sight picture and determine how much of the front sight is visible in the back sight. Use a degreaser and tooth brush to clean up the ribs before painting the sight. Put on about 3 coats over a couple or three days carefully.

Get a couple Brass GI Style Pistol Cleaning Rods for your Range Bag. Put a 45 brush on one and a large patch on the other. Hit the chambers a couple times during a match.

Keep an eye out for powder and debris under the Extractor Star.

Get a Gunsmith screwdriver set. Check the side plate screws now and again. Especially the furthest one forward. If this one shakes loose your cylinder can come off. Not a good thing in a match.

If you get serious you might send your K Snub to Ron Power for his Power Custom Combat work.

He has worked over both my SSR Revolvers. I have a 4" 64-2 and a 4" 686-5.

Ron went over both from end to end.

Ron installed Ball Lock

The cylinder has been adjusted for end shake and cylinder gap.

Chamfer the Chambers.

Basicly he goes over the entire revolver and adjusts everything to perfection. Ron is retired, but in the shop almost every day. You might talk him into a K Frame Snub Project. Look Up Power Custom. Ron has been building my revolvers for over 20 years, I like his work.

That should have you up and running with a very shootable platform.

Bob

Edited by VIPERONE