Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compulsive, Habitual Wasting

benos

This has been bugging me for years. Today, I was having a fish taco for lunch, and there it was again. Why do people have to grab a handful of napkins to eat one meal? I can see it if you're pigging out on some wings or ribs, but for Christ's sake, do you really need 10 napkins just to get through lunch? If you need more than one napkin, maybe you should re-evaluate your eating habits. In the process, you might loose a few pounds as well. And I don't know how many times I've seen handfuls of unused napkins mindlessly carried to the trash. Are you with me? It's not just napkins... We're all in this together, right?

be

R.O.'s typically shake their head and mutter "What a waste" when they score the swingers I shoot at........the guy stuck picking up brass usually gives me a dirty look also come to think of it......

Best fish tacos---Sam's Place, South Lake Tahoe, Nevada. With cole slaw, salsa, and TWO packets of hot sauce!

Brian, talk about striking a nerve...

[Thread Drift Mode ON]

The people that use the 10 napkins are from the same demographic that go to restaurant buffets and absolutely gorge themselves.  Then leave leave plate full of half-eaten food with the table, chairs, and floor covered with the carnage.  It's just plain damn embarassing to live in a country where such waste is totally rampant.  People aren't even ashamed or embarassed of themselves for doing it.  

I was eating salad along with my co-workers in local pizza-buffet place when a grungy guy across from us in a booth started puking his guts out across the table.  The pile of plates and glasses told the tale:  this jerk had come in, bought a pitcher of beer and the all-you-can-eat buffet plate and made sure to get his money's worth. The waitress asked him if he was OK and he acted like nothing had happened, like this was a typical daily outing.  I've never been able to go back.

While I don't think I have any leftist socio-political leanings, the acceptability of consumer gluttony, culinary and otherwise, is really starting to disgust me.  Take only what you NEED.  WANTS and NEEDS are NOT equivalent.

[Thread Drift Mode OFF]

Eric

(Edited by EricW at 9:48 am on Nov. 15, 2001)

In defence of those that take too many napkins...have you ever tried to get just ONE of those suckers out? Who designed those dispencers? I leave the excess napkins beside it, but since someone else 'touched' them nobody else will take them, instead they get more from the dispencer.

On a job site today I recieved a shipment from a supplier, Instead of sending one packing slip with all the items on it, they printed off a slip for each individual item...including duplicates of the same pieces eg. 8 shelves for servers for the data rack came with 8 packing slips...they are all the same part! How about one slip showing 8 items?

Pat