Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone got a red dot on the slide

lablover

Going to be mounting a Trijicon red dot on my 5.25 XDM and looking for any other folks that have mounted a red dot on the same pistol. Any problems with function etc etc?

I'm trying to eliminate the "I'm getting to old to see the sights" problems.

The Wife and kids have a Trijicon adjustable red dot on the way for pops for Christmas :)

And yes, already have a slide mount on the way from Springer

Edited by lablover

Editted:

Sorry, I just noticed you had mentioned about the mounts.

Here is one option that I believe attaches to the rear site dove tail so no modifications to the slide would be needed. The red dot site would then be attached to the mount:

They also offer different mounts for different types of small red dot sites:

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

Edited by szhttm

I had Scott Springer lighten my slide, then installed a Fastfire using his mount. Function is just fine. Life expectancy of the Fastfire is . . . :unsure:

Wow, that looks pretty cool. That's my issue as well is how long will this thing live for on the slide. I'm glad Trijicon has a very good warranty.

Warranties are great for after the match. Believe me, I speak from experience. Once you spend that much on an optic and travel to a major match and stay in a hotel, and the damn thing goes out on stage 2, the warranty isn't much consolation.

Damn good point! Guess I need to buy a backup pistol :)

Drats. better safe than sorry.

Warranties are great for after the match. Believe me, I speak from experience. Once you spend that much on an optic and travel to a major match and stay in a hotel, and the damn thing goes out on stage 2, the warranty isn't much consolation.

Nah! Backup sight is my option. I can remove / reinstall my Burris' without affecting zero .

Nah! Backup sight is my option. I can remove / reinstall my Burris' without affecting zero .

I Didn't even think of that. I have to remove the rear sight to install the Trijicon. I'll keep the Iron rear n my bag with the right allen wrenches and I'm good to go!

Dang, I was already shopping for another 5.25 :)

Can the gunsmiths put a new dove tail slot in front of the red dot to move the rear iron site in front of it and be cowitnessed? I doubt that a full size adjustable rear site would fit in the space behind the ejecting port, but a regular rear site might fit...

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

Edited by szhttm

Ones I've seen have the fixed rear sight behind the dot sight. Guess you could put it in front also, just never have seen one that way.

That is a good point. I guess it would just depend on if there is any of the rear of the slide available to move/add the iron site and not block the area of the Striker Retainer Pin.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

Got it mounted

Yea, this is gonna take some getting used too. Not as quick for sure. With the Springer mount, the front sight is no use at all for an index point.

Edited by lablover

me too...my burris FF on my XDM failed on the second stage at the pro-am last year...got a new one free, but that didnt help my score

It's not a 5.25 but we have a Leupold Deltapoint on my son's XDm. We have two friends that have Deltapoints on the slides of their open 38SC guns and they've shot thousands of rounds and never had a failure. The bummer with the sight is that it has to be removed to change the battery, but the battery lasts a long time.

XDM9leftjpg.jpg

It's not a 5.25 but we have a Leupold Deltapoint on my son's XDm. We have two friends that have Deltapoints on the slides of their open 38SC guns and they've shot thousands of rounds and never had a failure. The bummer with the sight is that it has to be removed to change the battery, but the battery lasts a long time.

XDM9leftjpg.jpg

My Fastfire II must come off, to replace the battery as well. Never been and issue though . . . two screws and has maintained zero every time. I even put my backup Fastfire II on without issue.

I have a friend with a RMR mounted on a M&P pistol. He has just sent it back to Trijicon for the third time. The adjustment screws keep working loose under recoil and are self rotating which moves his zero as he shoots. Not sure at what round count this started, but per his most recent communication with Trijicon they are coming out with an updated version of the sight that is more durable in the very neat future. I would think about waiting to see what comes out at SHOT!

Too late, already have it. I will say I have a hard time turning those windage and elev screws...they seem pretty stiff....for now that is. I've been pretty happy so far. Over 2K rounds and not a hitch yet :) I will after reading this put a witness mark on those screws and keep an eye on them.

One bad thing, our club has a low light shoot tonight and that thing is not easy to pick up in the dark. I still need to get this baby mastered for sure. I just need to work on my indexing more I guess. I could always use the kimber with the laser :)

Edited by lablover

I have a friend with a RMR mounted on a M&P pistol. He has just sent it back to Trijicon for the third time. The adjustment screws keep working loose under recoil and are self rotating which moves his zero as he shoots. Not sure at what round count this started, but per his most recent communication with Trijicon they are coming out with an updated version of the sight that is more durable in the very neat future. I would think about waiting to see what comes out at SHOT!

I am not familiar with the RMR so, have to ask, does it have locks on the windage /elevation? The Burris Fastfire has locking screws, to prevent movement. So far, those locking screws have not came loose (should I B knocking on wood right now?). Ha!