Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small rifle primers

sgrc1

So I have been loading Major .40 for IPSC with small pistol primer, have been looking at the chance of getting small rifle primers since I have read many posts suggesting this is the correct way to go.

So... all reloading components being equal and loading for .40 Major what are the benefits of using small rifle vs small pistol?

thanks

I've been trying to figure out the "Why SR and not SP" thing for some time and have not found the answers yet.

I load a slow powder (S221 - South African) 7.65gr under a 180 CMJ with CCI 500 primers for 1030 fps and zero signs of pressure. Will SR primers help the cause or not?

what aussieboy mentioned is the reason that I dont use rifle primers. THe once fired bras I buy will not always seal the primer hole with SRP's. It gave me about 1 in every 100 that almost felt like a squib. With a 165 power factor there really isnt a reason to use SRP's that relates to pressure either.

I've been trying to figure out the "Why SR and not SP" thing for some time and have not found the answers yet.

I load a slow powder (S221 - South African) 7.65gr under a 180 CMJ with CCI 500 primers for 1030 fps and zero signs of pressure. Will SR primers help the cause or not?

DB it doesn't sound like the "cause" needs help! :D

As mentioned, the rifle primers are better for high pressure loads hence the reason so many of us use them in Super loads. They have thicker/harder cups that hold high pressure better but at the expense of being harder to light off. You need a reliable firing pin strike.

Use small pistol primers for low the pressure loads to avoid gas blow-by.

So I am confused between high pressure and low pressure loads, I am loading .40 for 170FPS (IPSC major) using titegroup ~5.1grs using Montana gold 180grs bullets, would this be classified as HP or LP?

Sergio

I am loading .40 for 170FPS (IPSC major) using titegroup ~5.1grs using Montana gold 180grs bullets, would this be classified as HP or LP?

I would consider that High pressure as I load only 4.7 (max book weight) with a West Coast Plated 180 in my .40 Para. I make about 1000 fps with my combination (~180 pf). I also just use Winchester Small Pistol primers. I seat mine to 1.175"-1.180". Man 0.4 gr more than book max? Holy moly!

Vince

The practice of using small rifle primers started with high pressure loads in the 38 super. The cups in a rifle primer are thicker than the ones in pistol primers. They resist extrusion into the firing pin hole better and therefore resist primer wiping. It is no problem to maintain 100% reliability when using rifle primers, just have to know how to set up a light trigger that still allows a respectable hammer strike.

Dave

I have always used spp I have heard all the stories of the srp where they are harder, back in the day before Winchester changed the material in their cups we used to get a lot of primer flow. Now with the PF lowered That doen't happen any more. I don,t believe they burn that much more powder, And they cost more. As some of you have stated, you have to watch your main spring, so you can get a good strike when down to under 1.5# trigger pull. Put a limcat xl titanium pin in you gun use spp and forget about it :D

Ivan

SCS Vegas