Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Given rounds and brass

silerlock

I fellow shooter passed on and I was lucky enough to recieve probably 1500 pieces of starline supercomp brass and 700 loaded rounds of loaded 38sc with 9.5 grains of w571. Bullets are 124jhp. Pulled round and grains are spot on. Everything is well labeled. Would this be a ok practice load for my bedell open pistol?

Lots of people, including myself, have a rule that we never shoot rounds unless they are factory or we loaded them ourselves. It is entirely up to you. A couple of posts on other forums say W571 is the old HS-7.

Once again, the choice is yours.

I used to love the 571. After reading your post, I looked back at my chrono notes. 10.3 grains with a 125 gr. D+J bullet and a Federal small rifle primer would get me a 1403 avg at a 175 power factor out of a 4 hole Hybrid barrel and a 3 chamber comp. Those were the days, man!

well, if you trusted the fellow shooter, you witnessed him having no problems with his loads, and you know that he was a "safe" reloader, then it is safe to say that his loads would be ok. I would chrono a couple of his rounds first, and see if there are any pressure signs or any problems. I would use them for plinking/practice rounds if they are ok then. good luck.

WW571 was a good powder for the heavier 135 to 155 grain .38 super loads at the old power factor. I used it with 135 and 150 LSWC bullets for a while before moving on to a different powder. Being leery of using other's loads is wise. But, I would hate to waste (or pull) 700 rounds needlessly. If it were me, I'd pull a few more to make sure they are indeed 124 grain bullets, and the charge is indeed 9.5 and then shoot a few over a chrono and check for pressure. 9.5 grains of ww571 with a 124 grain bullet isn't a very hot load. I was using more than that to make major (175 pf) with a 135grain bullet.

However, if you have any doubts and can't prove it to yourself that they are safe to use then pull them or toss them as it isn't worth the worry.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of people, including myself, have a rule that we never shoot rounds unless they are factory or we loaded them ourselves. It is entirely up to you. A couple of posts on other forums say W571 is the old HS-7.

Once again, the choice is yours.

I couldn't agree more! Every round loaded by another shooter is a potential pandora's box of disaster.