Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 40 - live round not ejecting

TheBoss

I am running an M&P Pro 40 with an Apex trigger and slide cuts to reduce slide weight with a 15# recoil spring uncaptured on a tungsten guide rod. I am having an issue with live rounds not ejecting cleanly at the end of my run when I unload and show clear.

I am shooting Atlanta Arms 180GR 40 S&W flat nose, not sure what the OAL is for this load. I have had several comments at the range the indicated the round actually looks short and is possibly not crimped.

I want to make sure that not one else has run into the issue with the gun before I go talk to Danny at ATL Arms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have that problem only when I load them really long. Since I tend to load long now for Major PF, I never yank the slide back anymore, I'll just pull it back slowly and smoothly and let the round drop out of the magwell. Wouldn't want to risk it getting jammed up and hitting the primer on the ejector.

SAAMI load data shows Max OAL for 40 S&W as 1.135. I did lighten the recoil spring to 15#, but that should not affect the ejection of a live round under manual operation of the slide after the course of fire.

Can you describe the failure mode better? What do you mean by "the rounds do not eject cleanly"? Are the rounds jammed in the chamber and it takes a lot of force to rack the slide back? Is the tip of the bullet hitting something as the round tries to flip out? Is the extractor slipping off the rim of the case leaving the round in the chamber?

@ Cha-lee the rounds are getting caught between the extractor and the breech face.

I completely stripped it this evening everything came off the gun including the sights, cleaned it and put back together. I found very small slivers of brass caked with oil and burned powder under the extractor.

During the match today we checked the extractor and it seemed to be working correctly, tension felt fine, etc.

However during cleaning the dirt collecting under the extractor may have been causing the round to, ever so slightly to sit elevated on on side while going into battery and ejecting.

Additionally, we also noticed on the spent casings the primers were struck off center. Way off center, like the edge of the primer and the primer pocket, off center.

My next match is Saturday, I will validate my findings then.

I load all the way out to 1.17 with my .40 Pro; just short enough to fit the mag. No issues like you describe. I would bet that your issue is related to something with the extractor. Keep working in that area, replace spring, maybe even actual extractor.

Will the extractor you mentioned keep the garbage out from under the extractor. What is special about the Apex extractor?

John Nagel and Steve Breeding of SJC Customs make in in Lawrenceville, GA.

www.sjcguns.com